Criticism through Comedy | Teen Ink

Criticism through Comedy

March 26, 2014
By MikaelaH PLATINUM, New City, New York
MikaelaH PLATINUM, New City, New York
31 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is impossible with man is possible with God. Luke 18:27


Only a few months ago, I was shown Teenink. Since then, I've loved writing and submitting my work. I look forward to the email that tells me my piece has been published. I love reading people’s work from all over the world. It’s incredible seeing the varying opinions and stories people share.

I loved “Ode to a Hipster” in March’s edition of Teenink. It was funny, but conveyed a deeper message. It criticized all the people who pretend to be someone they’re not. The author was creative in the shaping of the poem. The way she extended the word “deep” created a sense of depth within the poem, even though it was in a mocking way. She talks about how fleeting these “deep thinkers” thoughts are.

I appreciate how relevant this poem is. I admire the way the author was able to tease all the fake people without being crude. She handled it in a classy way. She was able to criticize through comedy. Just reading the poem make me smile and laugh to myself because it’s so relatable to people in my community.


The author's comments:
My Letter to the Editor