A Disney Kid | Teen Ink

A Disney Kid

January 24, 2014
By MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Remember the good old days when all you had to worry about was what was being served for lunch? When your homework was just to write a paragraph about your favorite animal? My childhood, like so many other children’s, was filled with Disney. My favorite movies had talking animals, and my favorite music was written by Alan Menken. Disney taught me lessons and brightened my day, but what about now? Because a few years have passed, we feel the need to act like adults. Disney movies are now “childish” and “immature.” This is something that I have not, and still don’t, agree with. Who says that I can’t watch The Lion King and sing along? The lyrics are catchy!

When I was really little, my favorite movie was The Little Mermaid. I would watch it almost every day, I can even remember the previews that would come on before the movie. Whenever I rewatch it, I feel so happy and at home. When something makes you happy, why does it matter whether or not it was made for children?

Sure, I guess singing the songs at the top of your voice could be viewed as “obnoxious” or “annoying”, but at least they have a good meaning. I think most people would rather hear a rendition of “Under the Sea” than an explicit song about drugs and abuse.
Honestly, I think all of our inner kids are ready to break free and dance alongside Sebastian and Flounder. Something important I think that we all need to know is that you don’t have to be in a rush to grow up because once we’re adults, we’ll regret not being silly when we could. Even as an adult, I know that I will never be too old for Disney.