How to Get an A | Teen Ink

How to Get an A

By MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland

As I sat in my first period AP seminar, hurriedly doing the Physics outline that happened to be due the next period, I began to get hyper (probably because of sleep and caffeine deprivation). I was laughing at the stupidest and most insignificant things, gasping for breath at the corny pun that the author of my Physics book had tried to pull off, when I should have been focusing on my half finished outline. In the midst of this fit of stress and delusion, I began to sing the song from Mulan, “I’ll Make a Man Out of You”, every now and then substituting in my own lyrics to fit my situation.
Later that day, as I sat at lunch spastically finishing my Calculus homework, I began the song again, this time adding on more changes as I went. At first this amused my friends, though it quickly changed to annoyance. But I thought that my knack for coming up with new lyrics was pretty good, especially under such a large amount of stress, and I later finished out the song while in the shower that night. . . . So, without further ado, my original adaption of Mulan’s “I’ll Make a Man Out of You!”
*Note - If you aren’t familiar with the song, or want to compare, it should be on YouTube! Also you might want to so you can better imagine the lyrics/how it sounds (There may be extra syllables or non-rhyming words)!

~To Get an A~
Let’s get down to business, to do my homework! Will procrastination get me to college?!

It’s the longest chapter I’ve ever read, and you can bet before I’m through, I’ll be up, probably past two!

If you wait ‘till later, you will be sorry! Cramming up ‘till midnight, will be your last worry! It’s the biggest problem I’ve ever seen, and I haven’t got a clue; CalcChat help, I need you!

(fast) Boy I’m never gonna sleep again—caffeinated beverage save me—Boy was I a fool for leaving this ‘till now—This project’s got me scared to death—what if teacher sees right through me—Now I really wish that I knew how to skim!

~Chorus~
To get an A, you must do all the required outlines! To get an A, you must know the velocities! To get an A, you must study all the coursework or you’ll probably be stuck in summer school!

Time is racing toward us, ‘till the deadline arrives! Organize your planner, and you might survive! It’s the hardest test I’ve ever taken; did we even learn this at all? How could I get an A, oh poo . . .

Chorus (twice)