Rainy Days | Teen Ink

Rainy Days

January 24, 2014
By MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever looked out of a window, realized it’s raining, and thought, ‘Oh, great. That just about ruins my day,’ and spent the next few minutes feeling gloomy? Well neither have I. I’m not exactly sure why, but I just love it when it rains. Not in the whole, “it’s a great day to read a book/watch a movie” like so many others seem to think, but just because they make me feel happier and somehow make my day better.

The first thing that I may like about the rain is the way it makes everything look better. And I mean just about anything, not just a little meadow. The gray sky seems to make all of the colors underneath it richer and more beautiful. It seems more classical to me, like some sort of English countryside in a Jane Austen novel.

Another factor could be how everything does seem cozier and somehow more home-like. Instead of being stuck in some store, you’re holed up in a dry nook. I do have to say, I would much rather go see a movie or go to a bookstore while it’s raining then anytime else. You get to wear comfy jackets and galoshes.

These aren't the only reasons for why I love the rain, just the easiest to put into writing. I can’t really explain how I just get more excited for the day when there is an 80% chance of precipitation, or how I’m in a better mood when I’m standing on my porch, under the overhang, watching it pour. Maybe I like precipitation in general; I can’t get enough snow. All that I know is that plans aren't ruined because of the rain; they just have to be canceled due to uncontrollable circumstances.