Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

January 10, 2014
By h18kolind BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii
h18kolind BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Bullying

Bullying is one of the major factors that lead up to self-harm, depression and suicide. Bullying is done in so many ways that not everyone may realize they are being a bully or being a victim of it. There are many different types of bullying, as you know. There’s cyber bullying, verbal bullying and physical bullying. Also harassment falls under bullying too. There’s sexual harassment and abusive harassment. So many teens and young kids are having problems with these subjects because they don’t understand that what they say can hurt someone very bad and others take things that may even just be an innocent joke very seriously. We as children and students need to work together to decrease the number of kids, who self harm, commit suicide, and kids who are depressed.

I personally know the consequences and outcomes of being a victim of bullying and being a bully. Throughout my 7th grade year I was bullied. I went through a dark time of being verbally bullied and mentally bullied and ended up doing some messed up things because I thought it would take my pain away but in the end it only made things worst. I was sexually harassed because of childish games being played in our grade that were part of the “Truth or Dare” game that was very popular. Not many kids know that asking someone out because of a dare knowing that the other kid being asked out has feelings for the one playing the game is part of sexual harassment. Not even I knew that it was until I was hurting so bad I told a teacher I trusted, and she explained to me that yes it was sexual harassment.

I have not only been the victim of bullying but I have also been a bully myself. I have picked on others, said hateful things and put people down. I am not proud of what I have done and I am trying to do things to make others aware of the problem now. I have realized how bad the bullying is getting just at my school alone. Others are left out of games, kids are being put down constantly and no one is really stopping it. Everyone is just being by standers and watching and not doing anything.

It only takes one brave, courageous kid to help a victim of bullying. You can find someone who looks sad or lonely and just go up to them and talk to them. If you see someone being bullied either on the Internet, or even right in front of your eyes then stand up for the kid who is being put down. Be the other kids friend. Treat everyone how you would like to be treated and maybe just maybe, we can slowly put a stop to bullying so there are fewer suicides and less people who self harm. Just remember all it takes is one courageous individual to stand up for someone else and others will fall in their lead.


The author's comments:
This is my work i wrote on a personal experience.