One thing I can't live without | Teen Ink

One thing I can't live without

By Skici BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Skici BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

The one thing I couldn’t dream of living without is electricity. This invention is pretty much essential to everyday life. It does everything from heat your food to your feet to your water. In this essay I plan to persuade you to feel the same way if you don’t already.

Thomas Alva Edison born February 11, 1847 is said to have invented electricity, and since then mankind has taken it a long way. It was previously used solely as a use of illumination. Then later was adapted to power other things. There aren’t many devices that don’t run on electricity these days. Televisions, phones, computers, Ipods, ect have daily use in our lives. Imagine having to actually go to a concert to hear your favorite artist perform, or having to write a letter to converse with someone who wasn’t sitting next to you.

Don’t get me wrong these methods of living were good for the time period they were in, but …I couldn’t see my self writing a letter to a pen pal. Oh man just thinking of riding horse back or carriage makes my backside hurt. Having to sit around a fire to place to stay warm is almost unheard of these days. Candles are pretty much obsolete unless being used for more intimate things. Cold bath anyone…..no? Didn’t think so without electricity no boilers. Food was grown or hunted for…. no bueno!

Oh the things we have today. Lets break it down into two groups. First I should start with the necessary things. Phones we all use them. They connect us with people miles away. Automobiles this goes for civilian, commercial, and emergency vehicles. Without any of them travel would be a pain. Since I mentioned vehicles I should put in traffic signals. Without them there would be accident after catastrophe. Light bulbs are key nowadays. There’s only so much space a candle can light up, and then it can only be for a period of time.

Now the things we don’t need. First and foremost the Ipod. Love music but having it on demand isn’t a necessity. Television we all have killed hours of our lives in front of it but we can manage. Computers are always fun who doesn’t have a social network account. We can always meet people the old fashion way. Such as walking up and saying HEY! As for research we can take it back and open up a book.

Despite what was just stated in the previous paragraph electricity is prominent in our modern day lives. A lot has changed since its beginnings. But the use of it will forever and always be apart of society in some form or fashion. In closing it just goes to show you and I need electricity….Thank you Mister Edison!

Mehta inspired me was all this new technology that runs through electricity.