Hell

Our minds have played with the facts: twisted them, made stories of them, shaped them to out liking. Our facts now are myths, and stories plain fiction, our hearts running on what we want the world to be. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Sometimes the truth doesn’t have to be everything we focus on, sometimes the truth is simply our motives deep under all of our fiction.

A story we have created is our picture of Hell. I know in your mind’s eye you’re seeing hot red flames lick up stone pillars, encasing the victims of eternal death in flaming torment. The devil is an ugly red demon with horns and a sharpened tail. A cartoon, fantasy in the least. This is such a humorous aspect of what humans have cultivated through the years of our evolution of ideas.

I would imagine hell to actually take this quite simple form:

Blackness so deep that black can’t describe it, much less words. You want to close your eyes, to escape, but then you realize you no longer posses a body to lock yourself up in. You are just a blackened sole now, nothing more. There are no confines to this space, only constant up and down, no walls. No barriers, so it seems. Darkness: it becomes all you think about. Falling, constantly, but you don’t feel the falling. You can feel neither hot nor cold, wind nor stillness. No feeling at all. Even falling doesn’t have a very unique feeling. Nothing is ever unique anymore.

Nothing is unique anymore, except the pain. Pain, sorrow, suffering, and regret. All other emotions no longer exist, for you have lost those from lack of use. There is no more hope, not more joy, no more love. Your memory has left you, only the feeling to greediness, and murderous glee haunt you like a ghost for all eternity. Pain is endless. It’s not a burning, not a numbness, not anything like pain you felt while in a flesh form. It’s a new type of pain, one that you have never felt. Tearing at your sorrow and regret, making you remember those sins you committed, forever dwelling. You can’t stream anymore, for you have no voice, no voice at all. No physical means. You can’t fight anymore, that privilege is no longer yours.

Lies of the world, living peoples’ mistakes whisper to you, tell you of what is happening, make you cringe in your mind’s eye. You want to scream loud enough for those of the living to hear your warning, but they never do. You must wait it complete isolation for all eternity, watching others come close to the same fate.

However, the soul changes in Hell: you regret, seek penance that it is too late for. In your pain you become good, but there is so turning back from this dark alley you were sent too. Only one person to this day remains evil in Hell, and that is the Devil himself.
He has many names: Lucifer, Satan, The Serpent, Devil, Angel of Death. Once, he was a beautiful angle called Lucifer, but he could have never been a real, devoted, almost perfect angel. He was beautiful, arrogant, though he was better than even God himself. Though God was his creator, and loved him dearly, Lucifer was not to be kept. He was sent to the confines of Hell, made especially for him. Through his pain though, he only grew thirsty for revenge. He found that his voice could in fact reach the hearts of the humans, and some say he beckoned the soles, told them to do wrong. Whispered with the singing birds, seeming innocent. God didn’t shut him off. Satan became his official name, and he was no longer beautiful. He was nothing but a thrashing sole in the darkness, searching for more to endure his fate forever. He has succeeded, but his arrogance never left him. He became cocky and proud, believing that he could destroy all good the God still seeks to create. Thus though, only God is powerful enough to do anything, and Satan is a fool in himself, the source of all evil today. God lets him serve as a test of our faith, love, devotion.
Of course, I might not be right either. Maybe Hell isn’t like that at all. Maybe it really is an expanse of flame and torture and heat. Maybe. Or, maybe Hell is the turn of the actually death of the sole. Maybe our punishment is actually not existing anymore, forever. That would be a true thing to be terrified of.
In the known truth, the evil will get their just fate. Though we can twist the truth into such stories, that doesn’t make the fact any less fact. And thus I say: do good, be good, and respect others as well as yourself.

Sarah48 said...
Your work is truly awesome. Your imagery and diction is really great. :)

TheLegacyLives said...
You are a phenomenal writer. Seriously amazing. I'm not religious at all, though I believe in God, but this spoke to me and rang true in my ears.

Anita This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
nice piece, very well written. except you can't say "very unique." Unique comes in black and white--either something is like everything else or it's not. Nice though. enjoyed it. 

bennyB said...
let me get omething clear. Hell was not dsigned for us humans, The bble says that it was designed fo the devil and his demons. second of all the bble says that in hell the flame doesnt  stp. There is fire in hell also the ble says that  worms will never die either. worms will torment us for eternity. Hell is something we do not want to fall under, I advice you to look for the real answer wich will set you free. Hell is real fr those who do not believe it. The bible clarly states it and... (more »)

toxic.monkey said...
i got goosebumps from your description of hell. good job!

Fires said...
Its very good. I liked how I created an image of what I was reading. You use very descriptive words. Keep Writing!!

BrainsANDBeauty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Except for the fact that Gabriel is the angel of death, it's good.

Templar314 said...

"In your pain you become good, but there is so turning back from this dark alley you were sent too. [sic]"

I seriously doubt that our merciful God would simply cease caring about someone after their death.

A haunting piece, nonetheless.

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very good, but you are missing a few things. There's also flesh-eating insects, gnashing of teeth and flames. Eternal burning. People have dubbed that down, but it's true. You'll burn forever with no hope of an end.

happy_pooh said...
i really enjoyed reading this, you are a wonderful writer and the fact that you got more in depth with painting the picture of what hell may look like gave me even more reason to want to read this article. 

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aw, now I'm all depressed and whatnot... :-(

iiNQUiiETA said...
Ok im scared. =(

agsmiley888 said...
wow great im starting to belive it myself and u also hae a point

uSUCK said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 9:05 am
this is scary stuff man, i like it

drhorriblylate said...
this is very interesting, love the imagery. Quite a different perspective than Dante Alighieri

sleeplessdreamer said...
Great piece of writing. You're really good. I too am a Christian and have wondered about Hell and what it would be like. This is a great perspective.

Dynasty said...
Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:12 am
this is scary is like constantly being depressed it sad alot dont believe it could happen nice work

invisiblesoul said...
Way to tell the truth. If I wasn't a Christian I would be terrified. Excellent.

MarinaOreo replied...
Why do you say that?

anonymous stalker said...
bravo! i have never seen and read anything so dark and buaotifal ( i think i spelled that wrong) keep it up you might be the next rick riordan