An empty tuesday | Teen Ink

An empty tuesday

December 11, 2013
By Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

"An Empty Tuesday" by Willa Hart was a soft, gentle poem that touched my heart and left me speechlessly surprised.
In Willa's poem, a tree in front of her house was constantly being watched by the narrator, in suspition. She knew that one of these days, it would fall over and completely tear her house in two. After a while of expecting this, she finally gathered herself and realized that it was not going to occur and that the tree would always stay in its spot, for it was strong and trustworthy. As soon as she made this decision, though, the tree obviously fell and what she'd always knew would come, did, at the moment she was least suspectful of it.
The poem was ridiculously relatable. The tree was another person, and the house was the narrator's heart. The narrator was always cautious and she knew that he would break her heart in half, unless she was careful. So, when the narrator finally gave in and decided he was not going to hurt her, he did. He broke her heart at the time when she was the most vulnerable and easily shattered. The realization of what the tree and the house symbolized was such a vivid burst of understanding and the poem had such a terrifyingly calm nature, that it left me staring at it for a long time after reading.
Besides outstanding figurative language and it's powerful, yet gentle, atmosphere, the symbolism in this poem is extraordianary, as well. I applaud Willa Hart for creating such amazing connection with her readers, while letting it out with such an easy flow and magnificent wording.