Patriotism | Teen Ink

Patriotism

December 9, 2013
By baywats97 BRONZE, Lula, Georgia
baywats97 BRONZE, Lula, Georgia
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Patriotism

Patriotism is defined by Webster’s dictionary as; “Love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it”. Patriotism is not just one definition though. It is expressed through many different terminologies, points of view, feelings, sayings, actions, and more. Usually when we think of patriotism, we think of symbols like: the bald eagle, our flag, the Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, the Declaration of Independence, the Liberty Bell and the Pledge of Allegiance.

The true meaning of patriotism is much more than any kind of definition or symbol. Patriotism is a feeling of loyalty for your country, and the emotion of pride that you feel when you hear patriotic music. It’s a shared ideal of love and devotion when we all come together to do right. It is more than the words spoken. It is beauty, and grace, support, and the dignity you get after you have worked towards the betterment for somebody, or something you believe in. I believe patriotism is more than just coming together to cook out and watch fireworks, or even putting your hand over your heart to recite the pledge. I believe it is when the words you hear touch your heart, more than the eye can see.

Real patriots are the soldiers who defend our country. We should honor their sacrifice; the real patriots sacrifice everything. Just like the brave men and women from 1776. Those were the people that fought for their rights, fought for their freedom, their new country. Real patriots would do whatever it takes for what was right.

One of the greatest patriots was known for his “Give me liberty, or give me death!” line in his “Treason” speech. His name was Patrick Henry. Patrick Henry was a prominent figure during the American Revolution. He was a founding father of the United States, along with Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and many other brave Americans. These dedicated and hardworking people won America’s independence from Great Britain.

In 1765, there was a tax placed on America by the British Parliament called the Stamp Act. The Stamp Act required that taxes were paid on printed materials in the colonies be produced on stamped paper produced in London. The purpose of the tax was to pay for soldiers in North America after the French and Indian War. The British government felt that the colonies should pay for their military presence. The Stamp Act was met with great anger in the colonies. The colonies could not send representatives to Parliament, and therefore had no say in their taxes or government. The colonists did not like “taxation without representation”. Colonial assemblies sent petitions and protests.

The Act was abolished on March 18, 1766, but Parliament affirmed its power to legislate for the colonies by also passing the Declaratory Act. This incident increased the colonists' feelings of patriotism and produced anger against the British Parliament. This helped the growing movement that became the birth of America.

Patriots are the best role models for everyone. Their courage and dedication should be inspiring for all ages. We can all learn a lot from our original patriots. Patriotism is a character trait that should be found in all Americans.