Raise the Flag at Half Mast

We raise our American flag when an important leader dies: presidents, governors, and people like rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr.who took a stand when no one else was willing to.

But what about the other people who die every day for us? Who sacrifice themselves for a better tomorrow? Soldiers in the Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, Army, etc. put their lives on the line and the least we can do is raise the flag at half mast in their honor. We should never take our freedom for granted because without those men and women, we could lose it in a second. We, as fellow Americans, owe them our gratitude, our appreciation.

Many say we don't do it because we are at war a lot. Well, should we be? What does that say about our morals, our values? Shouldn't we be putting peace over our pride? I know it's not as simple as "let's not get involved in war" because sometimes it can be unavoidable but we can still raise the flag at the times that we are in war. I mean, it only loses its meaning if we let it. If we let all our memories go.

That flag wears the pain, the happiness, the triumph the heart of our people, our soldiers. Be proud of it.
Just remember that those are our mothers, brothers, aunts, uncles, sister, cousins out there! We all love them so much and we ought to let their memory, their dedication and loyalty to the United States of America live on forever through that flag and through us.

Nijuly93 said...
I don't think the U.S. government has fought a justifiable war since WW2. It's just been oil and ideology for the most part. In that case I don't really have much  sympathy for people who spend their time killing brown people for some imperialist economic goal. I respect them for being strong people and doing what they believe, but my sorrow for their victims is stronger. 

RoseOzera said...
Praise the lord! Another fantastic piece of writing! :)

LessMeansMore said...

Blessed are those who serve the Lord, even onto death. Blessed are those who serve their country with dignity and honor, for those who do so in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit shall not perish but have eternal life.

Amen.

Dont Fence me in. said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 11:37 am
I think you are so right!!. People made an even bigger deal when MJ died. when their are people risking their lives every day.MJ is nothing to that!

amanda727 replied...
I know! MJ died-and while I LOVE his music-I didn't make a huge deal about it. I do sympathize for his family and friends but I mean, none of us know him, so why are we all upset about it as much as we are?
There are people out there FIGHTING for US. We need to respect that and give them our love and appreciation.

LessMeansMore replied...

praised be those who serve their country with dignity and honor in the name of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

(yes i am christian)

twilightchick said...
I agree

twilight97 said...
amen!!!!!!!!!