The Impact of Celebrities | Teen Ink

The Impact of Celebrities

October 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Many people do not realize how much of an impact celebrities have on everyone’s lives. I believe that if celebrities would send out better messages about things such as drugs and alcohol, everyone would be better off. If we sent better messages towards celebrities, and they set better examples for us, the world would be a better place
Does anyone remember Michael Vick and the dog fighting? After people heard about this, some people thought that it sounded like a fun idea. I personally thought that it was horrifying that someone could find that enjoyable. Michael Vick was certainly not the only one that went to these kinds of events, but people wanted to learn about it because it involved a celebrity. When people heard about this, some of them felt that participating in dog fighting was okay. Because people have the desire to become a star, they think that if they act like one of them, they can become one.
Sometimes people do crazy stunts, in hope that they will become famous for it. Why do you think people put videos on YouTube? I think that some do it for fun, but others just want to be noticed by everyone and become known for their video. People try whatever they can to become famous. Numerous people have become well known from American Idol. Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks, and David Cook are all examples of people who have become recognized from American Idol. People realize how much fame they have, so they try out for reality television shows. Various people that did not get close making it to the end are acknowledged today for their comical singing and the way they dressed. America’s Got Talent, America’s Next Top Model, Project Runway, Top Design, and Big Brother are other examples of reality shows. Almost all of these shows involve money, but I believe that fame is the main reason that people try out for the shows. If they were going on the show for money and were poor like a lot of them said they were, how would they be able to pay the bills back home?

If celebrities would simply send a better message toward Americans, the world might become a safer and healthier place. I think that we are somewhat heading in the right direction. In a teen magazine, the Jonas Brothers and Taylor Swift said that they would never date someone that smoked. Now this could just be an act, but it is sending a great message toward teens. If someone that smokes reads this, they might have a better chance of quitting if they know that someone they like does not tolerate it. If people know that celebrities think smoking is not cool, then everyone else may suddenly feel the same way.

In conclusion, everyone needs to help out in spreading better messages about celebrities. I do not see why people find so much fun in making up rumors about them. It sends bad messages to everyone, because people think that it is okay to do illegal stunts, when in reality, the stars are not guilty of anything. No matter what, celebrities are always going to have an impact on everyday life. If we sent better messages about them, and they set more examples for us, everyone would be better off.