The Power to Help | Teen Ink

The Power to Help

October 19, 2008
By Alex Messner BRONZE, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Alex Messner BRONZE, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If I could have a free ride through life with all the money I ever needed and anything I ever wanted, would I take it or leave it? To be didn’t want to admit it. With all the money, I could provide food and shelter for all the poor and homeless people in the world and still have money for myself. I could support my whole family for the rest of my life and theirs to. Its not only a free ride to help me, it’s a free ride to help everyone. Money is definitely not the most important thing in life (its not even close), but it helps with a lot. perfectly honest, I think I would take it. I think most anyone would, even if they
Being given a free ride doesn’t mean I can’t work. If I wanted to I certainly could. There is no one stopping me. Nobody likes to have to deal with bills and taxes, and with the money I had, I wouldn’t have to worry. I would be a lot less stressed. I would be able to spend more time with my family because I wouldn’t be under the pressure of getting my work done. I could have anything I ever wanted. I would be one of the most famous people in the world. I could be anyone I wanted: Rock star, actor, lawyer, doctor, athlete, or even an astronaut. I could open a new university and be a professor. I could provide jobs for all my family and friends.
Washington D.C has one of the highest populations of homeless people in the US. At night, park benches are filled with sleeping people because they don’t have anywhere else to go. I could give them money to buy clean clothes and food so they could get a job and have a better life. Every day, hundreds of children in Africa die from diseases and malnutrition. And because they are poor and live so far away from hospitals, they often die before anyone can help them. I could give them food, clothes, vaccinations and a better education.

I seems to me that if I say yes, I’m selfish, I love money, and I want everything, But is helping other people selfish? Is giving homeless people a blanket to keep them warm selfish? What about feed starving children? Are those things selfish? Taking the free ride would not be selfish if I used my power to help everyone, and not just myself.