We are Women | Teen Ink

We are Women

October 11, 2008
By Anonymous

Times change and so do people. What people considered wrong ten years ago is now done left and right. For a very long period of time women fought for their rights, but even though we got them, the disrespect towards the female gender did not stop. There have been many arguments and debates over this subject, but in my opinion, nothing has changed. Men still see women inferior to men and therefore do not consider our accomplishments and work. We have been made fun of and put down, treated like second-class citizens, and like objects by men. We have been denied many of our rights.

As for me, I see a significant issue in the way men try to put women down. For example, when western women in the nineteenth century started writing novels and making a name for themselves, they were given a name as “scribbling women”. In 1873, a Dr. Edwards Hammond Clark published Sex in Education, in which he argued that education is harmful to women because mental activity draws blood away from our reproductive organs (1). When I read about these things it makes me want to stand up for every female out there who simply sits and takes it. Men pushed every button and tried every excuse to put us in the kitchen. I am not sexist, I understand and accept the fact that not all men are like that.
Our right to vote as women stated that our decision matters. It stated that we were accepted as citizens. Why is it that it still takes so much to nominate a woman into power? If our opinion matters, why should we worry about having a woman in power? Some people believe that even if a woman’s opinion matters, it shouldn’t be trusted. Women in power have made very wise decisions in the past. For example, in 1780 Catherine II ruled as the empress of Russia. She was named as Catherine the Great and promoted education and the Enlightenment among the elite. That is only one out of many examples that I can give to prove that women can rule just as good as men. So why not try and give us a chance?
There is also abuse towards women that is tolerated within our society. Millions of women and girls are forced to marry and have sex with men they do not desire simply because the head of the family, the father, tells them so. Some traditions were not made for better. Statistics show that the risk of divorce of arranged marriages is about 2.6 higher as that of not arranged ones (2). Women are unable to depend on the government to protect them from physical violence at home. Men are considered to be in power of everything, including our rights. Not all women have been denied of their rights, but the percentage keeps growing.
In conclusion, we women have been pressed down for too long. We have put down, treated as second-class citizens and been made an object by men. I want to persuade females to not be afraid to stand up for what they are worth. We should not be treated as entertainment or sex objects. We can show, and we need to show that this kind of disrespect will not be tolerated in our society. There is no balance if one gender is being displayed inferior as to the other. After all, we were all created equal, right?


The author's comments:
I believe that female gender has been wrongfully discriminated all around the world. I strongly support all women around the world who stand up and talk. We need to be heard. We need to bring out the empowering feminists in our inner selves. No more silence.