What country is | Teen Ink

What country is

By JustAnonymous BRONZE, Bellefontaine, Ohio
JustAnonymous BRONZE, Bellefontaine, Ohio

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

What is it that makes a person “country”? This has been a huge debate between city folks and country hicks, and to really put a definition on it is nearly impossible. On one side, it’s how you dress: Cowboy boots, flannel shirts, camouflage, cut-off jeans. Then there’s what you do: Go “huntin, fishin, and muddin”, use fowl language, dip and smoke, listen to country music, and shoot every damn thing that moves. Then there’s my personal favorite; talk in a southern accent, even when you don’t have one. Because that’s just mandatory for someone who’s country, right?

On the other side it’s how you were born and raised. Country isn’t something that you can just buy, it’s not the latest fashion statement, and it’s sure as hell not something that you can just “be”. You just have to have it and you have to be it. Ever heard of the phrase “southern hospitality”? Well that phrase is nothing but the truth. I’m not saying that “country” folks don’t go mudding or hunt or wear cowboy boots or listen to country music (because trust me, they do). What I’m saying is it’s more than that. It comes from your heart. It’s how you act and treat others. It’s how you do things and how you feel about things.

If you are wondering if you yourself are country, you’re not. How do I know that? Because if you really have to ask yourself that question then you’re not. Cause us country folks know who we are and what we are. And we would never change that.

MaireDubh GOLD said...
MaireDubh GOLD, Grassy Creek, North Carolina

"I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes."
-e.e. cummings

You're right: a lot of people also tend to define "country folk" as backwards rednecks...