Ode to America | Teen Ink

Ode to America

October 14, 2008
By Anonymous

I look around at the world these days and I must say, it’s disheartening. Everything has become horribly skewed, and I can’t help but think the majority doesn’t care, or even know for that matter. Take politics for example. Campaigns have become a joke. Ever since the founding of this country it’s been slowly becoming less about the best man for the job and more about the lesser of two evils. The smear tactics we see today are disgusting. If they are true, my vote has to either go to a narrow-minded war pig or a bleeding heart that thinks he can make everyone hold hands and be happy.


Next is Wall Street, nay, the economy in general. Yes, I know I’m only 18, but I can't stand the fact that my parents have to shell out money so some conceited, narcissistic, money addicted son of a ---- can get his dead beat kid a new car and his trophy wife a new set of…..lips. I did some research behind the plan to “fix” this, and the only thing worse than the problem itself is how they plan to solve it. Their solution is to essentially prevent debt by building debt. Now, I’m no J.P Morgan, but I fail to see the logic in this. With this mindset, they’ll be telling us that we can all solve the oil crisis by buying Hummers.


Next of course, despite everything shattering around them, there are still those who believe that everything is ok. They go through their days as if they are in a slumber, and they like it that way. To them, recession means that America isn’t perfect, and that scares them. They shun that the economy is failing, they believe everyone is thriving, and they ignore that the greater portion of the world hates them. These people need to WAKE UP and realize that there are things occurring that need to be changed.


Despite what my little rant may imply, I love my country. In fact, it’s out of love that these things make my blood boil. We have a freedom that other people would (and have) die for. We cannot waste that; action must be taken to fix what has been broken. Vote, protest, support, do anything, but for God’s sake do not sit idly by.