Comforts in the Little Things | Teen Ink

Comforts in the Little Things

By Cat_00 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Cat_00 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

"I think it means that all of the good comes out of you and it is your true self coming out. Along with a partner of course because it says 'we'. So you are not alone. You have a friend that will be there and you will both be 'glowing in the dark'."

Whether you are chilling with some friends or you are having some alone time, it’s always good to find that one thing that makes you happy. For some it could be going to the cinema with their significant other, or it could be making hot tea and snuggling in for a good read. No matter what makes you happy, just do it. We all have those days that you will simply just feel like giving up, and trust me when I say I’ve been there, but it’s worth it. Those little things can bring your mood up from feeling disparity to being on cloud nine.
With the new school year and all the changes, you will probably feel overwhelmed. Although you typically get bombarded with tests, projects, and homework, everyone has to take a “me” day. For you it may be going to get a new wardrobe or new look. For me it is either having a memorable time with my friends or just lying in bed with the latest novel. Sometimes you need to change
Rather than just taking a day to work with all the hustle and bustle of the new times, just chill. Grab that special someone and watch a movie marathon. Put on those old athletic shorts and play a backyard game of badminton. Hop in your car and just drive and get lost. In the middle of the night put on some sweats and an old shirt with messy hair, grab that person who you can just be relaxed with and go to a playground and star gaze.
Sometimes you rather just be by yourself to chill. You could rearrange your room to something completely new. You could sleep in. Find a new or old band that just makes you smile. Write a short-story involving all your friends. Go get a massage. Get a tub of Mayfield Ice-cream and get that tear-jerker to release all those built up feelings.
This year has been a lot more difficult for me than I believed it would be. Personally I’ve changed more this year than I ever had. My best friend moved schools, my friends and I got separated, and I was internally going through things most can’t imagine. But I found a new thing to comfort me, Music. I honestly can’t sing nor can I keep a beat for a long time, but I love listening to music and just enjoying myself. My number one new artist is Passenger. He sings folk music, so it’s usually slower and calm. But I can relate to the music so much, although it’s geared more toward adult liking. Many people feel the same way as I do, but for a different band or artist.
Some people could say that they are always happy and don’t need anything to comfort them, but we all know that you’re lying. Everyone has those days where they are a little bit depressed or just kind of sad. It’s okay to be sad sometimes, but it’s not healthy to be sad a lot. Even if you have a disease that makes it extremely difficult to become elated at all, there is something that warms your insides. Whether you do this once a day or once a week, it is always great to be happy.

With the new school year starting, several things have probably changed. But it is key to remain happy and find those comforting things.