Scared to drive | Teen Ink

Scared to drive

By Dawnski BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Dawnski BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Teenagers the age of 15 and 16 these days are very exited to drive. When I first learned how to drive I was very exited. I learned in a parking lot at first because I did not have my license but as soon as I received my license, I couldn’t wait to get behind the wheel of a car.
When I received the opportunity to drive in school for drivers Ed., I was scared to drive at first because I was not familiar with the car. I was afraid I was going to hit someone or even be hit myself. After the first day I became familiar with the car and I was not afraid anymore. I was actually surprised with myself because I didn’t make many mistakes. The only mistakes I made were drifting but Mr. D told me that drifting was normal for a novice driver.
Even though I was afraid of driving at first, there are people who are older than me and are terrified to be behind the wheel of a car. People who are afraid to drive have some reason why they don’t want to drive. About a year ago, there was a young lady who used to work for my mom and she was 19 years old. She said she didn’t want to drive because when she was younger, she got into an accident and ever since she didn’t want to drive anywhere. As time went past, she got over her fear of driving and finally decided take the driving test at the DMV. After she past I was very proud of her and realized that there is nothing to be afraid of while driving.
Other reasons why people can be afraid of driving are because they failed their driving test while they were in school. After they have failed, they give up and don’t have the strength, energy, and faith to ever drive again. Another reason why people are afraid to drive is because people may not have the money to drive because driving is not cheap and it is certainly not free. Some people don’t understand the dangers of driving and can injure or even kill someone. Some people don’t care and some people take that very seriously.
In conclusion of this essay, people who are afraid to drive should get over their fears by starting out in a parking lot and working their way up. They should practice with someone who is experience and learn to realize that things will be okay. Even though the road can be dangerous, they cannot take the bus or depend on people forever.