Lord Of the Flies review | Teen Ink

Lord Of the Flies review

October 27, 2013
By CasillasLoc BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
CasillasLoc BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Survival of the fittest


Lord of the Flies Book Review




Lord of the Flies is one of my favorite books that I have read in my lifetime. The story is adventurous and visual, which as a reader I would like to find in every book. The setting of the story shows straight in the beginning of the story, it takes place on a deserted island which is suddenly inhabited by a group of schoolboys. The plot really caught my eye during my reading, the story is set in a war period, a plane full of school boys crash on the island and are left stranded on an island. This a fear of many, but to the boys it is paradise because they are free from adults and rules. The story has two protagonists, Ralph and his side kick Piggy. The boys in the plane crash realize that a leader is needed and they have Ralph and Jack run for leader but ralph ends up winning the election due to his leadership skills and popularity with the other boys. Ralph befriends a boy by the name of Jack who is the antagonist in the story. As days pass Jacks thirst for power rises and what was once thought to be a paradise is quickly turning into a sinister reality.



In the Lord of the Flies the book seems to try to make the reader question what is the true meaning of evil. While reading this book you will always be questioning Ralph, Jack, Piggy, and the other schoolboys’ decisions and actions, until the reader cannot take in what has happened. As the story progresses savagery takes over of the boys and the innocence is lost and the life of the boys are never the same and never will be. Chapter after chapter you want more and more, the images of gruesome scenes perfectly are depicted in your head. It is very hard to define who the protagonist is and who the antagonist is because the book is not just about these boys becoming independent, it has a deeper meaning to it, which makes you question about the story and what its moral is. Each time you read after the leadership voting you see Jack’s hunger for power and as it progresses you can see that things get worse and less civilized.




One day a ship passes on the horizon, Ralph and Piggy take notice. The fire that the hunters are responsible for has burned out. Ralph is furious and blames it on Jack, the hunter returns with his first kill. When the hunter returns with his first kill all the other hunters act insane by reenacting the chase that the other hunter experienced in a kind of wild dance. Piggy criticizes Jack and Jack hits Piggy across the face by this point you can tell Jack was becoming a savage. Beyond this point of the story the boys have become uncivilized and some become more savage than others.



This book seems to go steady which I really like. I think this book is so successful because Golding drops hints in the story, right from the beginning. I also like how Golding had two older boys instead of one in the story because Golding knew to keep the story interesting he needed competition and the envy that Jack had toward Ralph kept me interested with each page I read. I would recommend this book to teens and older readers who like reading a book that is adventurous and mysterious. When I finished the book I had a different look on the world and what it’s really like, the world is darker than you think.