Insecurity | Teen Ink

Insecurity

October 20, 2013
By Michelle Chu BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Michelle Chu BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the poem entitled “Insecure” by Chloe Heyde, there are three simple lines that encompass a story of reality. As I was reading this poem, I felt in an instant how brave Chloe was to be writing about this issue. It’s a hard thing to admit—yet she did it so confidently. I look up to her as role model, having being a person who is insecure herself.
She writes, “good morning, warpaint,” in her first line. The meaning of warpaint has two definitions. One, pigments used to decorate one’s face before going into battle. Two, cosmetics, such as lipstick or mascara. I believe she put this in for a double meaning. This symbolizes the preparation for the struggle she is going through. It also means the cosmetics she uses to cover up what she thinks is ugly. Yet I find this line relatable. It’s hard to wake up everyday to find myself looking unattractive. The idea of insecurity has ruined the beauty within many teenagers like myself.
In her third line, Chloe writes, “Am I pretty yet?” This is the question many people dealing with insecurity ask themselves, yet the answer they say is always “no.” I believe that as teenagers we are too young to be that sad. Insecurity destroys the person inside, convincing them that they are not beautiful. This is an issue that should be brought to the attention of adults and parents. I find this poem full of courage and it tells so much in just twelve words.