The Trouble with Cake | Teen Ink

The Trouble with Cake

By JasonWong358 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
JasonWong358 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Why do so many people suffer from allergies? The fictional piece “The Trouble with Cake” reminded me of how many people have allergies. These allergies are nuisances that need special treatment and can cause serious, life-threatening problems to some. They can also cause isolation for others, and can bother the people who are suffering from the allergies, since they cannot eat the same food as their friends and family or enjoy the outdoors. However, as shown in the piece, food allergies tend to be more annoying than seasonal allergies.

Why do people have to be singled-out all of the time to stay safe from allergies? I have allergies myself, which include most of the seasonal allergies that exist and an allergy to kiwi. Even though most foods do not contain kiwi, I have to check the ingredients of foods that may contain fruits or anything that can be related to tropical fruits. This is not too irritating, since most foods do not contain kiwi. However, I feel pity for people with allergies to major foods, such as nuts.

As a result of my sympathy, I felt bad for the main character of “The Trouble with Cake.” Many people that I know also have nut allergies and cannot savor some foods that many of us enjoy. They are isolated from the rest of us and feel left out when foods containing nuts are served. These people with severe food allergies must face their hardships alone, and they have to receive “special treatment” when the foods that they are allergic to are in whatever is being served to them. This can stir up sympathy in me, and I hope that it will in others, too.

I am sympathetic for many people, and I especially feel bad for people with severe food allergies.