Perspective

Broadening your viewpoint of the world, your overview of your surroundings, and your introspective of yourself are key points when you wish to learn more about your own purpose in this world. Entitled “Perspective,” Isabella Backman’s poem shows just how cruel your own mindset of yourself can be, and I, for one, can relate.
As the poem begins with describing the tormenter in this case, it says that “[she] knows her better than anyone,” but still isn’t cut any slack when it comes to making the speaker feel terrible about herself. I know how it feels to perceive yourself as someone who’s not good enough, someone who just doesn’t make the mark amongst others. Once the narrator has finally had enough of being thrown down just as she got back up, she confronts the antagonizer, only to find herself screaming into a mirror. This shows great symbolism, as most often, you are your biggest critic.
Isabella’s poem suggests that your perspective on yourself means everything. Treating your mind or body poorly and regretting every new decision you make can only result in you believing that everything done on your behalf is wrong. I admit it—I’m guilty of this myself, as I’ve often beat myself up over choices I’ve made, which deep down I knew were right. But, I have learned that if something makes me happy, I should go for it, no matter what the odds. I agree with the way Isabella portrayed the narrator of the poem; she targeted herself as the victim, when in reality she was just as much the bully as the bullied. Building confidence in oneself is the largest leap to defeating the belittler inside of you. Once you realize that you are the only roadblock in your path, it can always be changed. The only person standing in the way is you.

arthur_ said...
I love this feedback!

myselfandi614 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Ahhh this is amazing and i love the way you write!