Character Color Wheel | Teen Ink

Character Color Wheel

September 14, 2013
By KleoKleo GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee
KleoKleo GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent Eleanor Roosevelt
Don't just read your story, WRITE it - Me


Character Color Wheel
“Respect!” they demand of me, “Be respectful!!” But I have to wonder, what exactly is respect? It’s a simple word, a common word, an efficient word used to harness the inappropriate and childish behaviors. It means to spur our humbleness and gratitude into immediate action. It has us changing our feelings and conversations as quickly and as simply as flipping the dial on a kaleidoscope. You can enforce respect in three simple forms of use: Adults, well-being of one’s property, and the kind you allow for yourself.
To begin, adults are the pedestrians in a busy parking lot; they have the right of way. I personally know from experience that nobody feels comfortable relinquishing their self-control, physically or mentally for that matter. But, believe it or not, they usually know what they’re talking about and know what’s best. They’ve lived longer, and therefore are wiser in their requests, which may seem ridiculous, but really are simple. Of course, us teens want to take risks, have fun, be carefree and crazy, all without consequence. As a teen myself, I totally understand, but it’s an adult’s job to protect us and teach us about life. Teach us how to juggle manners, people, the household, bills, nourishment, safety, clothes, religion, respect, and love. In a sense, they are teaching life itself, and we have to be ready. Life is only 10% what happens and 90% how you react. So, even when adults seem to have engineered your every move and every thought, remember that they’re just worried. Take it all in, and when you reach that stage where you have to say goodbye, tweak it to how you see fit, but never lose sight of the first impression. Respect their beliefs and their position as an elder, and listen, even if you don’t agree.
Next, the golden rule of life, “Treat others as you would like to be treated”, is a great thesis for respecting other people’s property. Would you want somebody ruining your belongings? Imagine how it would make you feel if somebody took your brand-new iPad and smashed it, all because of a moment of stupidity, prejudice, or an age-old rivalry? How about your favorite pair of Chacos? How about your Kavu bag? Respecting property shows responsibility and the decency and compassion to do what’s right. It shows your upmost consideration, empathy, and care for the person as well.
Additionally, the respect you allow for yourself is the basis for how you administer respect in the other aspects of life. This incorporates the way you treat your body, feelings, and mind. What you willingly allow and what you restrict. You must keep yourself healthy with study and heart in everything you do. Respecting yourself means paying close attention to the three sections of the health pyramid which are social, physical, and mentally. Supposedly if you balance these three things, you will be living in your prime state of health. Respect is a major factor of life whether you want it to or not, so important that you use it every day, intentionally or not.
Respect is a pillar of character for a reason. It holds a pigment in a color wheel, bursting with bright and bubbly colors. If your character has a murky and dull wheel, filled with grays, blacks, and whites, something isn’t right. Try to make your character color wheel burst with bright greens, yellows, reds, blues, and pinks. All of those represent the good traits and hide the bad ones. Respect is necessary for a beautiful carefree life. Every day, wake up with a clean slate and color it the right way. You decide what your wheel looks like. Make it shine.


The author's comments:
Character Color Wheel