Political Parties, Benefit or Danger? | Teen Ink

Political Parties, Benefit or Danger?

September 30, 2008
By OSunnyO SILVER, Vienna, Virginia
OSunnyO SILVER, Vienna, Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

George Washington, when he was announcing that he didn’t want a third term as the first president of the United States, wrote a document that was known as Washington’s Farewell Address. In it, Washington warned the citizens about the dangers of political parties. He talked about how political parties have the potential to destroy community and government, even though he did admit that parties may provide some benefits.

According to Washington, political parties will destroy peace the people of the United States had maintained. As referred in his farewell address, “…sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissention… [political party] is itself a frightful despotism.” He also mentioned foreign countries. “It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions.”

However, Washington did agree that there were benefits the parties may provide. He named one situation when the parties will be beneficial: in monarchy governments. “In Governments of a Monarchical cast Patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favour, upon the spirit of party.” He means that the monarchy governments will be willing to ignore the weaknesses of the parties and see it as something they can help with.

In my opinion, political parties bring more benefits than danger to our government and community. The proof that my opinion is right is our government. If the parties brought many dangers to United States than benefits, there will be no way that it would have continued for this long. I believe that the parties are a great way to look at a problem from many perspectives. Biased solutions aren’t going to help anyone. Even though it causes a lot of disagreement, I think the parties are very profitable to our community and it gives the citizens the freedom to express themselves by supporting what they believe.