Palin Power? | Teen Ink

Palin Power?

October 3, 2008
By Anonymous

When Sarah Palin first accepted the role as McCain’s running partner at the Republican National Convention, most people could only ask “Who?” Since then, it seems that the country has caught Palin fever; putting her face on bumper sticks, pins, and even action figures. She is a veritable celebrity, and some would even go as far to say that Palin should become the next president rather then John McCain. And that, my fellow Americans, is where I draw the line.

Sarah Palin is not fit to run this country in the state it’s in. First of all, she had never left her home state of Alaska until last year, and the breadth of her foreign policy is “I can see Russia from my house.” President Bush could see Mexico from his home state of Texas, but I’m afraid it doesn’t seem to have helped him very much in the way diplomacy. And in the experience department, she’s only had two years as a governor is the scarcely populated state of Alaska. How is it that she is not sited for this, but Senator Obama is? Even if Senator Obama has only have legislative experience, the president is nothing if he cannot convince his legislature to pass the bills he wants.

Palin fever seems also to have inflicted the Republican candidates to become unnecessarily overprotective of their new possible vice president. “Lipstickgate”, as Ralph Nader affectionately call the incident, has lead those on the right to attack the Obama campaign for using the supposedly attacking Palin “in code” by using the word lipstick. The media has spun it into a frenzy, and it is so one sided, the Democrats seemed lost. My question is where were these accusations of sexism back when Hillary Clinton was running during the primaries?

My point, dear citizens, is it’s time to take some cold medicine for this fever of yours. Analyzing a candidate’s credentials, despite their religion, gender, or race, is not in any way an attack. It is smart, it is sensible, and something the country sorely needs to do in light of these new developments. Sarah Palin is not only unprepared to be vice president, she’s not ready to be our President and lead our world.