Why I Hate Writing/Why I Think It's Bullocks Sometimes..Well Most Times | Teen Ink

Why I Hate Writing/Why I Think It's Bullocks Sometimes..Well Most Times

By Safaya BRONZE, Metuchen, New Jersey
Safaya BRONZE, Metuchen, New Jersey

At least I got your attention (yeah, right). This is specifically geared towards creative writing. To be frank, I feel like it is kind of bullshit( fake poop, incase this is censored). Did you hear that? That was thousands of birds being flipped from hands, a couple of jaws dropping, a million eye balls rolling being followed by the shake of heads for someone here on TeenInk thinks this is a mind-blowing revelation, they totally think they are Nietschze or Martin Luther. Well they've heard it all before.
In the beginning of this process of growing up and trying to mature as a writer, I loved writing as much as the next flannel-wearing, tea drinking 16 year old wannabe beatnik. I guess that was because there were very few people to criticize and reject my writing. I could just sit there for hours and consume story after story, with their details embroidered on the creamy white pages, words in perfect, iconic print, and the heavy weight of the book which made you feel oh so accomplished. I felt this complete and utter joy out of reading a word, sounding it out in my head and preceding to the next black-inked beauty. i had just loved to be enlightened. And as we all know, when one is happy, stupid things happen, such as promises being made. Yes it is sad but true, after consuming many books, I felt like I could just up and write. However, what I had lacked was a realistic perspective, an open mind, and the ability to think before I could act.
Every single writer can relate to me when I say that I feel the most inspired when I am blasting music (Nirvana, because how much more angsty can I get?) and I am thinking of what adventure to dive into on a blank Microsoft word document. At that point it is just myself and the artist or the instrument sprinkling happiness into my thoughts as each second goes by. This is quite dangerous, especially if you are going to get into the world of creative writing. What is going here is too much positivity. The stimulating music is encouraging, and that blank white rectangular mass is cheering you on. This may not be dangerous to cynical ones, but you bet your ass it is to over analytical types. What occurs between my over analytical self and that empty document is such and exhausting and not-so-juicy affair. I would get so caught up in these details, resulting in lack of many other essential ones. Being too observant can make you pretty clingy; sometimes the dialogue is phenomenal, but off putting because you forgot to describe this character's swagger or meek nature. Or sometimes you are listening to that song, typing away your feelings and reactions to it, subconsciously. The worst part about lacking something when you write is actually the diversity of the criticism you receive.
About your diction, one person says you are trying to show off your vocabulary range and another tells you that you are trying to emulate F.Scott Fitzgerald. Someone tells you to add more detail because you are that is what your writing is lacking, sometimes they even say not to write a paragraph about one character; they always seem to imply one thing or another. Then, there is that one person, that critic who thinks they are so revolutionary and that they have got it all right. They tell you that writing process is one during which you have to go and criticize all by yourself. You, the writer, has to choose what goes in and what goes out, you have to put in what you like and leave out what you do not find to click. Then that same person tells you that it has to flow to captivate the reader. This is the most mind numbing of all the criticism out there. It is extremely contradicting and most writers are in love with their own writing draft after draft, even if it is horse s***.
Since we are talking about how bullshitting the creative writing world is to the over analytical person, the next topic of discussion will have to be the madness that arises after receiving said criticism. Hypothetically speaking, an over analytical writer puts their writing on YahooAnswers to be critiqued. After receiving some of those different criticisms, thinking about the criticism does not end there. Because we are dealing with a writer here, detail is what we all care about, because there is a story behind everything. You click on the person's username, you look for previously asked and answered question. All of a sudden, you start mentally criticizing this person. "Oh look, their grammar is far from proper yet they would want to criticize a medium that greatly relies on the structure of the words." "Oh they actually think the Billboard Top 40 is 'soothing' and they actually enjoyed this or that song by Miley Cyrus? Who the hell are they to even criticize me, let alone any other bloke out there." "Oh they cheated on their wife with another man? How would they know structure in writing when they don't know themselves at the age of 40?" This is not where the madness ends. When your friend who never seemed great at writing sends you a not so bad sample of their work, you criticize the living s*** out of it. You would tell them that their "horrid" grammar is off putting and that their character seems detached although the work is written in the first person. And the covered cherry on top of this melting sundae is the competitive phase. You waste all your time reading well-liked stories of the particular genre you thought you were the master of. You thought you could make thrillers, well...thrilling again. However, your story has so much effort, while so and so's story is like a flimsy roof that is going to break just like that. You ultimately come to the conclusion that people are stupid. You forgot ONLY a few elements that could have really spiced up your writing, no one saw your potential that has clearly always been there. You listen to some of your favorite music to blow off some steam, you need a break, this is your first time going through the writing process, you're so young after all and there is other s*** to stress out about. You relax for a few and it kicks in again. You feel inspired......to......write. And so it begins.

So here's to the overly ambitious, the go getters who constantly see an opportunity here and there, and take it because you are aware that you have to grab life by the balls. Here's to the observant, meticulous ones who will take a risk because they have felt that their over-analyzing minds will mold something wonderful that everyone would like to read. Most importantly, here's to those who willingly go through this madness time and time again. You've contributed to a platform of discussion and interpretation that is larger than ever with technology. You all don't know what everyone wants and you never will, that is the world of creative writing. It is such an annoying world to delve deeper into because what is in your head won't all get on paper,there is too much imagination; but when you pour it all out, it's too much and you're digressing. Now, let's hope that this gets published because I've gone back to criticizing TeenInk for actually publishing some crap and called them out and not publishing me; we all know those who talk about how immensely difficult it is somehow always make it. Until next time, when I've written crap that I swear I poured my soul and heart into, more madness.