The Modern Day Holocaust | Teen Ink

The Modern Day Holocaust

By masterdirector007 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
masterdirector007 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois

One sees it every day on the news about a Pit Bull attack. The Media has turned the people on to hating and fearing a dog that was an American hero and the perfect nanny for children. The truth is that the people are the ones to blame for making the Pit Bulls as a dangerous creature. It’s how the dogs are raised that make them become dangerous. I myself am a proud owner of a Pit Bull/Lab mix named Gina. I chose specifically to adopt a Pit Bull because this breed of dog has been through hell and back because of stupid human choices.
The Pit Bulls wasn’t always known as a dangerous breed. Back in the 18th century was known for being a loving and courageous animal. It was considered the “Nanny Dog” for its loyalty and friendly nature. If this dog was chosen by mothers to protect their children then, why do humans hate them so much?
We owe our loyalty to this dog because it has saved many lives of soldiers during World War One. A Pit Bull named Sergeant Stubby. Sergeant Stubby was a stray that was adopted by Private J. Conroy. He helped sniff out bombs and once captured a German spy by tripping and attacking until American soldiers came and took him prisoner. After he was wounded in battle he became a therapy dog for his fellow soldiers. He was promoted to sergeant and was awarded many medals. He is the first dog to be received by President Woodrow Wilson. Sergeant Stubby has been through the hardship of war and was willing to sacrifice himself for his soldiers and master. The media has made this war veteran into a monster.
Some humans have gone so far as banning them from their states and towns. The most controversial one is when Denver banned the breed and it resulted in executing over 3,497 pit bulls. This is genocide much like the Holocaust. The Pit Bull has become the modern day holocaust. Think about it, Hitler and the Nazi’s murdered has over seven million Jews during the Holocaust. The Nazis saw the Jews has a danger to Germany. Jews were beaten, starved and murdered just because they were Jews. Does this sound familiar?
The “Final Solution” today is banning Pit Bulls and euthanize them because of people who believe that Pit Bulls are a danger. Their final solution is to get rid of every Pit Bull and every bread that looks like a Pit Bull. You learn the horrors of what the Jews went through the concentration camp, would you really let a dog go through that just because of what breed they are?

One can understand why people fear this dog. According from Dogsbite.org, “In the first 5 months of 2013, pit bulls inflicted 13 of the14 attacks that resulted in human death—93%”.With these statistics, one can understand why people would be so skeptical of Pit Bulls. They have a mean face and one can see on the news about a Pit Bull attacking a four year old boy or a baby, you don’t want that kind of animal around your children. These dogs do attempt to snap. Of course if you believe that a household pet can attack and kill your child, you want it out of society. But how can we judge if humans are no different? Another statistic according from Dogbite.org it’s not just Pit Bulls, “In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, two breeds accounted for 73% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.”

People need to be educated. Parents always say to never judge a person before you know them, Pit Bulls are the same way. My mother said that she didn't want a Pit Bull because she thought they were dangerous. After we got my Pit Bull Gina she saw that she was a loving and playful dog. No aggression. Pit Bulls have no voice and how can they when people are hate them. We are the voice for Pit Bulls and all animals. Adopt a Pit Bull and you’ll see that every fear and hate is wrong.

Visit your local animal shelter and give a Pit Bull a home. Just remember that if a dog is raised aggressive it will be aggressive. Don’t let the media make you believe that an animal that has done no wrong is a thing that should be killed.

I have a Pit Bull and I feel that this is an issue that everyone should be aware of.

Please keep your childish comments to yourself.

ohhey said...
ohhey, Woodstcok, Georgia

WHUDDUP

noone likes pitbull because theyre ugly.