An Interesting Choice | Teen Ink

An Interesting Choice

September 25, 2008
By Anonymous

You have all heard that Sarah Palin was chosen to be the running mate of John McCain. There has been much excitement and controversy over McCain's choice. While the GOP has been saying that this will pull Hilary supporters and Evangelicals have been heralding Palin as a pro-lifer, the Democrats have been saying that she will not make so much of a difference and are pointing out that this is not the first time a woman has been chosen as a running mate.

While I strongly agree with most of McCain's views and would vote for the McCain/Palin ticket, I am forced to agree with the Democrats that this choice is not a first time event and I believe that most Hilary supporters will not go for a conservative, no matter what the gender.

I recently saw an ad that asked for your opinion on the candidates. It asked, "Would you choose Obama or Palin?" I find this question amusing, because in all the history of presidential elections most voters did not choose a ticket because of the VP. I am willing to concede that Palin gives strength to the ticket, but in the end voters will vote for the Candidate, not the VP.

All that said and done, I am excited and thrilled about this election, as is most of America. We have an African American on one side, and female VP on the other, not to mention that Hilary Clinton was the first woman to compete in the primaries. So whatever the outcome, it will be historical.