Meaty Facts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Humans are physiologically, mentally, and physically made to eat meat. If you are a vegetarian, I hope you think twice before trying to change a meat eater’s mind about their steak dinner. These are just the facts – believe them or not. Humans, in general, are omnivores, and I can prove it.

Historically, humans have been natural meat eaters. Why do you think meat tastes so good to us? It’s because our species has evolved to eat it. According to National Geographic, “We have an improved ability to process cholesterol and fat.” Ninety-eight percent of the world eats meat, and it tastes good to most of us because chemicals are released in our brain that tell our body it’s good.

Switching to meat gave our ancestors an advantage. Researchers at the University of Southern California have found that when ancient humans began to consume meat 2.5 million years ago, they gained access to a new source of protein that helped produce larger brains and superior intelligence. Where would we be if we hadn’t discovered the first steak?

Secondly, humans are physiologically designed to eat meat. We need the protein, iron, and nutrients that only meat can provide. Without it, we face the risk of inadequate vitamin and mineral levels. As omnivores, our bodies are designed to process both meat and plant matter. According to TIME online, “a quarter-pound of meat stimulates almost twice as much gastric juices as does a quarter-pound of carbohydrates, and is correspondingly better for normal digestion.” We may not have teeth like a cat that can shear a deer, or an intestinal track that allows us to eat raw meat, but we have the single-chambered stomach common to carnivores and omnivores. Herbivores, on the other hand, have multiple stomach chambers. Humans find cellulose (the main component of plant tissue) totally indigestible, while we digest meat quickly and efficiently.

Lastly, people who choose not to eat meat do not reach their physical peak. UK Cohort hosted a study of 3,086 meat-eating women and 593 non-meat-eating women. The non-meat eaters had significantly lower levels of energy, protein, zinc, and fats than meat eaters. In the TV series “The Truth About Food,” professional athletes (both vegetarians and meat eaters) were studied as they changed their regular diet. The vegetarian athletes ate meat two times a day, while the meat-eating athletes consumed only carbs and vegetables. Colin Jackson, a former world-champion sprinter and hurdler, said that he felt “physically weaker” after not eating meat for a month.

Eating meat is what people are supposed to do. We as a species are smarter, healthier, stronger, and more developed since we began to eat meat. Why would you want to change that?

Mango_Madness said...
Jan. 6, 2009 at 4:00 am:
FYI, pork, for instance, is FULL of HARMFUL parasites. FYI, though human teeth are made for meat eating and vegetable eating, our stomachs are made to digest ONLY vegetables. And, FYI, I personaly HATE the taste of meat. I literally feel like barfing as soon as the thing touches my mouth. And I prefer to have animals alive and well, maybe in a petting zoo, rather than in my stomach.

little-miss-sunshine replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm :
A petting zoo ain't much better than being on a farm about to be killed, just saying!

SloopyMcCoy said...
Well, isn't it something that we've evloved enough to realize that killing is WRONG? Meat eating is wrong... we are eating our distant cousins when we eat animals... cannibalisum? My life as a vegitarian will be (average) 7 years longer than if I were a meat eater. Also, I live in the country. I am not a big-city kid. I am a vegitarian. Now that our ancestors have eaten meat enough for us to evolve so amazingly, we now know enough to subsitute other foods for meat. We can be healthy without meat... (more »)

skywitch replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 9:45 am :

I would just like to point out that almost everything that we eat was once alive or came form something that was alive. And sometimes when we harvest our food, we kill the plants that preduce it. Yes, plants are alive. The pasta that you had for dinner last night had wheat in it, wheat was once alive.

speakinthetruth said...
i like meat you veggies do not understand that meat was put on this planet for a reason. it is a food source that the human race has survived on since the beginning. animal cruelty is a whole other issue. meat is food

Tyler H. said...
Ok listen. I sorta agree with Rinalia, because we eat vegies and meats, but some people do eat raw meat but thats them I prefer cooked meat myself though. It doesn't matter if your vegitarian or a meat eater we are all the same creatures.

loko mono said...
i like MEATTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emilee R said...
I think that we should go Veggie.
I am a vegitiarian myself.
Vegitartian love longer than meat eaters.
But whatever,

olii said...
Dec. 4, 2008 at 6:19 am:
Well done. You did not stop short of proving your point and you backed it up with ethos, pathos, and logos. You are a very astounding writer who expresses your opinions all too well, and I hope to see more of your work. And by the way, interesting choice of a topic. What a way to attract readers!

Sincerely,
Olivia

Caviar_Makes_Me_Sad said...
Ok...
I have a book to suggest for all of you:
Omnivore's Dilemma...
In the opinion section I have submitted my letter that I wrote in response to this book about the corruption of the food industry. The vegitatian, organic, and meat eating industries all have serious issues.
It is called
America's Wicked Obsession:
The True Facts behind the food industry
Sorry this may seem like a bit of an advertisement but this letter really talks about a lot... (more »)

myowncharacter said...
Nov. 24, 2008 at 1:45 am:
Wowza, this is incredibly hypocritical, no offense, but really. You're telling me not to push my personal choice of vegetarianism on people, yet you are telling me that my decision is downright inhuman. Did you know we vegetarians live, on average, seven years longer than omnivores? Did you know that we're saving the environment by choosing not to eat meat? If you're going on the theory of evolution, you're saying we've evolved to eat those we have evolved from. I don't think so. This piece, str... (more »)

jessica said...
Nov. 17, 2008 at 4:37 am:
I think its great that you took all the time to research, but some of the studies are very biased. Also, meat IS bad for your health. And bad for the environment. And why- since humans are so evolved- must we treat animals worse than even cavemen did? These days we are technologically advanced far enough to survive without the consumption of meat. It can be done in a healthy manner. Hunting can hardly be justified. Did you know that deer and other game animals are introduced to an area just so ... (more »)

veggietalez1 said...
to the author reply- just so you know not all of the vegetarians are in "big cities" i spent 5 years of my life growing up on a farm and now live in a rural area- im vegetarian- your extremely stereotypical- if you grew up around animals like i did you should know that animals should be valued just as much as humans

Shane_Zeh_Banderbear said...
Hm. Well, I do not like how a lot of people supply meat to stores and stuff. Slaughter houses, and the such. Still, it is natural for humans to eat meat. The animal cruelty issue should be taken up with the government, but that doesn't mean you have to give up meat. That's one argument down. Yes, people can thrive on veges and fruits. That's fine. Still, eating meat does offer a good balance in our diets, provides many more needed proteins, and does help our body develop pretty well. 'Souls'. ... (more »)

AssassinStrike13 said...
Its true that we have to cook something before eating meat, skinne, but that is only because if we do we can get really sick that is the only reason for that. And we may be able to get protein from different sources but usually the vegetarian is not educated enough and only eats what they think will give them enough protein when they are only getting the same kind and not all the different types. There are 14 different kinds and whereas any meat will provide the necessary amount a pice of carrot... (more »)

jaspereliot said...
This is an interesting perspective but I think if you compare longevity of meat-eaters to vegetarians, you'll find that those who limit their consumption of meat (or eliminate it altogether) live the longest. That said, it is absolutely TRUE that just because you eat a vegetarian diet does NOT mean that you are getting proper nutrition. With the lack of certain foods that vegetarians don't eat, there are often vitamin and nutritional deficiencies (e.g., B12, iron, and zinc, among others). There... (more »)

mmmmm12 said...
Oct. 20, 2008 at 4:11 am:
i, the author, am responding to the comments that are posted. maybe you vegetarians should be more open-minded. The only thing you've ever seen from your backyards is the cities. (New York, LA....) i see wildlife every day. i know exactly how they live and die naturally.

I hunt for my own food and i stand my ground when i say that hunters care more for the environment than most vegetarians do. we balance the sexes and number of animals. If we hunters didnt hunt, the number of... (more »)

UnbrokenJane replied...
Apr. 23, 2010 at 9:00 am :

I completely agree with you on this point. Many people are blind to the fact that in order for nature to work properly, living creatures must die. Our planet does not have enough resources to feed everyone and everything, no matter what species you are, and that's why there is natural selection and evolution.

Humans are omnivores, and therefore we need to hunt meat and gather plants. It has been this way since our early days as human beings. Herbivores, like deer, cows, pigs, and chick... (more »)

lilypad9312 said...
i agree with mae-mae and rinalia. just because we like the taste of something doesnt mean its good 4 us. Like McDonalds for example, it may taste good to us, but it is certainly most NOT good 4 us. i, a vegetarian myself, think it is cruel to kill poor animals just for something that tastes good. If you think that is soo fair, then i think cows, pigs, chicken, and other animals have the right to eat humans. how does that sound? To me, meat eaters are greedy . they just kill an animal for themsel... (more »)

Sani.123 said...
Wel first of all when i eat meat i think about the poor animal that has been killed so i can eat it personaly i think your right but when i take time out to eat veggies i think about the wonderful juicy steak i can eat straight off the GRILL! so i think that i will stick with meat lol