Meaty Facts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Humans are physiologically, mentally, and physically made to eat meat. If you are a vegetarian, I hope you think twice before trying to change a meat eater’s mind about their steak dinner. These are just the facts – believe them or not. Humans, in general, are omnivores, and I can prove it.

Historically, humans have been natural meat eaters. Why do you think meat tastes so good to us? It’s because our species has evolved to eat it. According to National Geographic, “We have an improved ability to process cholesterol and fat.” Ninety-eight percent of the world eats meat, and it tastes good to most of us because chemicals are released in our brain that tell our body it’s good.

Switching to meat gave our ancestors an advantage. Researchers at the University of Southern California have found that when ancient humans began to consume meat 2.5 million years ago, they gained access to a new source of protein that helped produce larger brains and superior intelligence. Where would we be if we hadn’t discovered the first steak?

Secondly, humans are physiologically designed to eat meat. We need the protein, iron, and nutrients that only meat can provide. Without it, we face the risk of inadequate vitamin and mineral levels. As omnivores, our bodies are designed to process both meat and plant matter. According to TIME online, “a quarter-pound of meat stimulates almost twice as much gastric juices as does a quarter-pound of carbohydrates, and is correspondingly better for normal digestion.” We may not have teeth like a cat that can shear a deer, or an intestinal track that allows us to eat raw meat, but we have the single-chambered stomach common to carnivores and omnivores. Herbivores, on the other hand, have multiple stomach chambers. Humans find cellulose (the main component of plant tissue) totally indigestible, while we digest meat quickly and efficiently.

Lastly, people who choose not to eat meat do not reach their physical peak. UK Cohort hosted a study of 3,086 meat-eating women and 593 non-meat-eating women. The non-meat eaters had significantly lower levels of energy, protein, zinc, and fats than meat eaters. In the TV series “The Truth About Food,” professional athletes (both vegetarians and meat eaters) were studied as they changed their regular diet. The vegetarian athletes ate meat two times a day, while the meat-eating athletes consumed only carbs and vegetables. Colin Jackson, a former world-champion sprinter and hurdler, said that he felt “physically weaker” after not eating meat for a month.

Eating meat is what people are supposed to do. We as a species are smarter, healthier, stronger, and more developed since we began to eat meat. Why would you want to change that?

speechless<3 said...
I am a proud lifelong vegetarian and have to respectfully disagree with your article. I am amazingly physically fit and get plenty of the proper nutrition I need. "we need the protein, iron, and nutrients that only meat can provide." Yeah, meat isn't the only thing that provides those nutrients. Ever heard of veggie meat? Also known as fake or soy meat? Often times it has less fat and MORE protein than real meat. You also failed to mention the various unhealthy hormones and pestic... (more »)

Anne P. replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm :
I completely disagree.
First of all, fake meat is NOT real meat. There is the word FAKE in front of it.
Secondly, the hormones and pesticides you speak of are not supposed to be in the meat. Blame it on the people who give it to the animals. Besides, people who are eating excessive amounts of meat are abusing what they have. The author of this article was simply stating that it is necessary for formation and development. Nowhere above did she mention that eating meats excessively is he... (more »)

speechless<3 said...
The meaty facts? Try the veggie truth: http ://teenink .com /opinion/social_issues_civics/article/131052/The-Veggie-Truth/

sprinkshine said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 3:22 am:
Doesn't mean you need to eat a big steak to get protein.

earthgil said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:24 am:
i totally agree with you muju45, animals are alive!! and just because the bible says it, doesnt mean we have to eat them. and just cuz we r omnivores, doesnt mean we have to eat anything we dont want to.

[PotMonkey] replied...
Dec. 17, 2009 at 10:17 am :
Actually i have evidence to prove your whole article wronge. humans are naturally herbivores. We have not always eaten meat. and i dont feel like posting all the reasons i know this on here but read this article http ://michaelbluejay .com /veg/natural.html educate yourself... i have been studying vegetarianism since i was little. and there is numorous amounts of evidence and research that proves that a vegetarian diet is healthier for you. and of coarse you are going to try to make up excus... (more »)

little-miss-sunshine replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 4:37 pm :
Ummm... Are you allowed to post your e-mail address? i don't think you are. Maybe that's something you want to check with the editor.

toxicmonkey said...
Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm:
ppl- whatever the reason we started to eat meat, we are now sentient creatures who can choose for themselves their own food! meat-eaters, leave the vegeterians alone! vegeterians, stop telling everone what to do! for some families in the world, meat is a luxery, as is any food, so stop yelling each other into doing what you want them to do and donate some money to feed starving children!

skywitch replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 9:37 am :
I agree with toxicmonkey, can't we all just get along?

UnbrokenJane replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:54 am :

The first sentence of your comment is irritating beyond all belief. Just because we are sentient doesn't me we can "choose" what our body needs to survive. Choosing to not eat meat may be acceptable today with man-made, nutrient enriched foods, but when our digestive systems were first developing, these sort of luxuries were not available. In nature, it is not only beneficial but necessary for survival to eat meat. Even with new sorts of food available today, it has still been proven that cer... (more »)

Amyyy said...
Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:58 am:
vegetarians are important too! people can eat whatever- vegetables or meat! There's no such thing as 2.5 million years ago. The world is only about 8,000 years old! How's that for your science or history teacher!!!!

Sharky said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 7:31 pm:
Amyyy, well the earth is 4.6 BILLION years old, not 8,000! Do some research before you post false info.

SuperMickey replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 3:38 pm :
Maybe you should be the one who does the research smart one. There is no possible way that the world could be 4.6 billion years old, because the sea is gradually getting more salt in it every year and if it was that old then we would have no ocena therefore, no water, therefore, no life. (:

meaty!! said...
Feb. 2, 2009 at 9:48 pm:
its all about dat meat!! Meat all day.

JackJackson said...
Jan. 30, 2009 at 3:13 am:
I LOVE CHICKEN!

SuperMickey replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm :
I love Chicken too!!! When i say Hillshire you say farm! HILLSHIRE! FARM! GO MEAT!!! (:

muju45 said...
Nope. The human stomach churns for the digestion of VEGITABLES, not meat. The acids may work on meat and we may have canines but it's probably for shearing vegis. Anyways, humans hunted meat and ate it raw in ancient times. They didn't cage them up and make their life miserable. And people who say "In the bible it says animals have no souls. They are on the earth for a reason and that is food", screw it. Not everyone believes in that line, even if we are cristian. Animals are ALIVE! Wh... (more »)

nainabobana said...
I really think meat is a great thing for our body. If you dont like it or dont want to eat it thats okay just as long as you know the risk you're putting your self at. And dont get mad at people who do eat it just the same as we dont get mad at you for only eating veggies.

hellokittyyy222 said...
god put animals for a food source and animals have the ability to multiply for a reason. yes we do endanger them but thats a whole nother story. animals was put on this earth for a reason. its not like there just there. and in the bible they have no souls so we arent killing anything!! they are just a food source. buti do believe that animal cruelity is worng but thats a whole nother reason. and u veggie ppl out there, meat has vitamins that ur body needs so ur just bcomimg TOO healthy.. no matt... (more »)

Kelz1141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:22 pm :
God put animals on this earth just so we could eat them? Then why exactly did they put us on this planet? Also we can reproduce but does that mean i run around with a fork and knife eating my nieghbors babies? no. Also I think it is really impolite to call vegeterians "you Veggie People" You eat meat, should i refer to you as a Masochistic Bloodthirsty meat person? No. And also there is no such thing as bieng too healthy, while your laying on your death bed choking down a steak and us ... (more »)

kindyxkandy replied...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:48 am :
Animals were on this earth long before humans were, just to let you know. If anything, we were put on this earth for them to eat us. Humans are animals, does that mean we have no souls? Animals feel pain, just like you. Some even have highly developed emotions. They were NOT put on this earth as meat, and if you think so, I think you need a serious reality check. Next time your chewing on your steak, think about how an innocent animal was killed brutally for it. Think about the pain and sufferin... (more »)