Meaty Facts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Humans are physiologically, mentally, and physically made to eat meat. If you are a vegetarian, I hope you think twice before trying to change a meat eater’s mind about their steak dinner. These are just the facts – believe them or not. Humans, in general, are omnivores, and I can prove it.

Historically, humans have been natural meat eaters. Why do you think meat tastes so good to us? It’s because our species has evolved to eat it. According to National Geographic, “We have an improved ability to process cholesterol and fat.” Ninety-eight percent of the world eats meat, and it tastes good to most of us because chemicals are released in our brain that tell our body it’s good.

Switching to meat gave our ancestors an advantage. Researchers at the University of Southern California have found that when ancient humans began to consume meat 2.5 million years ago, they gained access to a new source of protein that helped produce larger brains and superior intelligence. Where would we be if we hadn’t discovered the first steak?

Secondly, humans are physiologically designed to eat meat. We need the protein, iron, and nutrients that only meat can provide. Without it, we face the risk of inadequate vitamin and mineral levels. As omnivores, our bodies are designed to process both meat and plant matter. According to TIME online, “a quarter-pound of meat stimulates almost twice as much gastric juices as does a quarter-pound of carbohydrates, and is correspondingly better for normal digestion.” We may not have teeth like a cat that can shear a deer, or an intestinal track that allows us to eat raw meat, but we have the single-chambered stomach common to carnivores and omnivores. Herbivores, on the other hand, have multiple stomach chambers. Humans find cellulose (the main component of plant tissue) totally indigestible, while we digest meat quickly and efficiently.

Lastly, people who choose not to eat meat do not reach their physical peak. UK Cohort hosted a study of 3,086 meat-eating women and 593 non-meat-eating women. The non-meat eaters had significantly lower levels of energy, protein, zinc, and fats than meat eaters. In the TV series “The Truth About Food,” professional athletes (both vegetarians and meat eaters) were studied as they changed their regular diet. The vegetarian athletes ate meat two times a day, while the meat-eating athletes consumed only carbs and vegetables. Colin Jackson, a former world-champion sprinter and hurdler, said that he felt “physically weaker” after not eating meat for a month.

Eating meat is what people are supposed to do. We as a species are smarter, healthier, stronger, and more developed since we began to eat meat. Why would you want to change that?

Audrey M. said...
May 29, 2011 at 8:20 am:

I am a vegetarian and I found your opening line a little hypocritical. "If you are a vegetarian, I hope you think twice before trying to change a meat eater’s mind about their steak dinner."

But what exactly is this article? It is you trying to change people's minds about vegetarianism which is exactly what you told vegetarians not to do to meat eaters. Vegetarians can be healthier than meat-eaters, and as with all things, that's only if you eat the right foo... (more »)

The_dude_of_Reason replied...
Nov. 18 at 1:51 pm :
Look calm down he is just trying to say that maybe we should think twice before converting to all ecological vegan hippies

Ali._L said...
Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:33 am:
I haven't researched it yet, but from what you explained about the study from "the truth about food", it sounds a little bit biased. And why would a vegetarian start eating meat for a study?
There are also a lot of other ways to get the nutrients you talked about. Vegetarians usually do their research. Plus, most of America's population is consuming too much protein, which is not healthy either.

J. Rae said...
Geeze people! Why are we even arguing about this? Some scientists say that it is healthier to eat meat, and some say that it is healthier to be a vegetarian. It's a never ending circle of arguing that can never be totally proven. The choice of vegetarianism or non is a choice that people should be able to make in peace, not with millions of people spurting out facts to say that one or the other is unhealthy.

THEDUDEOFTRUTH replied...
Nov. 18 at 1:55 pm :
THANK YOU GOOD SIR

ELM522 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 8:07 am:
I'm a vegetarian, and you should really check your facts because it is proved that the majority of vegetarians are healthier than the average meat-eater.

sophie_d replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm :
I stopped eating meat and my acne went away. I look and feel much better. You're right ELM522, the author should check the facts!

J. Rae replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm :

THe reason your acne went away is probably because 50% of the oil/fat you consume  is found in meat.

Vegetarianism can be healthier, but it can become very dangerous if you do not get the right amount of protein and vitamins elsewhere.

MaxineAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 3:34 pm :
I eat meat and I'm healthier than my vegetarian siblings. I also don't have skin problems, while my vegetarian sister does. It all depends on the person-some will benefit from being vegetarian and others will benefit from meat. Don't argue about something like this; it's different for every person. 

little-miss-sunshine said...
I am personally not on a side. I've posted replies, to any comment I've disagreed with, whether for or against meat-eaters, but I believe it is your choice of what to eat. There is evidence meat-eaters are healthier, and their is evidence vegetarians are healthier. The only thing that I basically have to say to every comment is that other animals eat meat, other animals eat veggies, we are just animals, and in the animal world, both are acceptable, so let people do what they want.

thetiedyecrayon replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm :

I totally agree with you. Some people eat meat, and some don't. It's not really polite, either, to some of the vegetarians out there. I happen to have a vegetarian friend, and she is just fine, if you ask me.

If this is a persuasive, I'm not sure it's the best topic out there. I wouldn't try to change people's minds about what they eat. Come on, is it really necessary? As long as they're eating healthy, why bother?

Rosanna1120 said...
so it is ok to eat meat because you think we were ment to!!!!! so i guess it is ok to take pot too because it is naturally on the earth. just because it is there or we were "meant" to do it does not mean that we should!!!! just because everyone turns 16 does not mean that every idiot out there should drive a car!!!!

Ali._L replied...
Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:30 am :
I agree completely! I have not heard a single argument that I consider valid as to why humans should eat meat.

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very well written article. I didn't know many of the things in here (though I did watch some of The Truth About Food) and I think this is a greatly written and structured article. I do happen to be a vegetarian and I know that meat-eaters are healthier, but I just don't like meat- it tastes disgusting to me. Great article though!

Dandelion said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:26 am:
I say this with all due respect: I believe that the author is trying to say that an ancient human's only choice was to eat meat when things such as soybeans were not available. The article is only posing one side of the situation, so infuriated comments are bound to ensue, often unnecessarily.

UnbrokenJane said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 9:07 am:

The first sentence of your comment is irritating beyond all belief. Just because we are sentient doesn't me we can "choose" what our body needs to survive. Choosing to not eat meat may be acceptable today with man-made, nutrient enriched foods, but when our digestive systems were first developing, these sort of luxuries were not available. In nature, it is not only beneficial but necessary for survival to eat meat. Even with new sorts of food available today, it has still been proven that cer... (more »)

UnbrokenJane replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:54 am :
Accidentally posted a new comment instead of a reply. Sorry. Please ignore this. >.<

xAllegria said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 4:57 am:

In all due respect, I don't agree. Firstly I found your opinion a little succint, and it lacks support in some parts... I mean, as most people stated meat isn't the only food that provides protein iron and nutrients. Secondly, you say it is the reason our 'species' has become smarter, healthier, stronger and more developed. I would agree with some of that, but it's not all true and definitely a minor cause. Also, the study seems a bit weird to me. 3000 meat-eaters against 600 non-meat-eaters?... (more »)

speechless<3 said...
I am a proud lifelong vegetarian and have to respectfully disagree with your article. I am amazingly physically fit and get plenty of the proper nutrition I need. "we need the protein, iron, and nutrients that only meat can provide." Yeah, meat isn't the only thing that provides those nutrients. Ever heard of veggie meat? Also known as fake or soy meat? Often times it has less fat and MORE protein than real meat. You also failed to mention the various unhealthy hormones and pestic... (more »)

alayapoetgirl replied...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm :
I agree with speechless<3. It is true that meats have so many harmful chemicals and toxins that meateaters eat. Now why is the newer is growing so fast