Meaty Facts | Teen Ink

Meaty Facts MAG

By Tyanna Church BRONZE, Fruita, Colorado
Tyanna Church BRONZE, Fruita, Colorado

Humans are physiologically, mentally, and physically made to eat meat. If you are a vegetarian, I hope you think twice before trying to change a meat eater’s mind about their steak dinner. These are just the facts – believe them or not. Humans, in general, are omnivores, and I can prove it.

Historically, humans have been natural meat eaters. Why do you think meat tastes so good to us? It’s because our species has evolved to eat it. According to National Geographic, “We have an improved ability to process cholesterol and fat.” Ninety-eight percent of the world eats meat, and it tastes good to most of us because chemicals are released in our brain that tell our body it’s good.

Switching to meat gave our ancestors an advantage. Researchers at the University of Southern California have found that when ancient humans began to consume meat 2.5 million years ago, they gained access to a new source of protein that helped produce larger brains and superior intelligence. Where would we be if we hadn’t discovered the first steak?

Secondly, humans are physiologically designed to eat meat. We need the protein, iron, and nutrients that only meat can provide. Without it, we face the risk of inadequate vitamin and mineral levels. As omnivores, our bodies are designed to process both meat and plant matter. According to TIME online, “a quarter-pound of meat stimulates almost twice as much gastric juices as does a quarter-pound of carbohydrates, and is correspondingly better for normal digestion.” We may not have teeth like a cat that can shear a deer, or an intestinal track that allows us to eat raw meat, but we have the single-chambered stomach common to carnivores and omnivores. Herbivores, on the other hand, have multiple stomach chambers. Humans find cellulose (the main component of plant tissue) totally indigestible, while we digest meat quickly and efficiently.

Lastly, people who choose not to eat meat do not reach their physical peak. UK Cohort hosted a study of 3,086 meat-eating women and 593 non-meat-eating women. The non-meat eaters had significantly lower levels of energy, protein, zinc, and fats than meat eaters. In the TV series “The Truth About Food,” professional athletes (both vegetarians and meat eaters) were studied as they changed their regular diet. The vegetarian athletes ate meat two times a day, while the meat-eating athletes consumed only carbs and vegetables. Colin Jackson, a former world-champion sprinter and hurdler, said that he felt “physically weaker” after not eating meat for a month.

Eating meat is what people are supposed to do. We as a species are smarter, healthier, stronger, and more developed since we began to eat meat. Why would you want to change that?

addictwithapen PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"I'm at it again as an addict with a pen." - twenty one pilots, addict with a pen

What bothers me is, why do you or anyone else care whether I eat meat? I'm not hurting anyone by being a vegetarian. I have never approached someone who eats meat and said to them "You shouldn't be eating that". But I have been exposed again and again to people telling me I shouldn't be a vegetarian. Why does it matter to them? If anyone has the right to complain about someone else's diet, it's me, because I believe that eating animals is unnecessary murder. But I have never once said this to anyone unless they asked me about my beliefs. Please just let me eat my veggies in peace.

MaxineA BRONZE said...
MaxineA BRONZE, Orange Park, Florida
I eat meat and I'm healthier than my vegetarian siblings. I also don't have skin problems, while my vegetarian sister does. It all depends on the person-some will benefit from being vegetarian and others will benefit from meat. Don't argue about something like this; it's different for every person. 

THANK YOU GOOD SIR

Look calm down he is just trying to say that maybe we should think twice before converting to all ecological vegan hippies

on May. 29 2011 at 8:20 am
trademarkoperation SILVER, Lake Peekskill, New York

Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. ~T.E. Lawrence

I am a vegetarian and I found your opening line a little hypocritical. "If you are a vegetarian, I hope you think twice before trying to change a meat eater’s mind about their steak dinner."

But what exactly is this article? It is you trying to change people's minds about vegetarianism which is exactly what you told vegetarians not to do to meat eaters. Vegetarians can be healthier than meat-eaters, and as with all things, that's only if you eat the right foods. Unfortunately, the majority of Americans eat unhealthy things, regardless of whether or not they are a vegetarian. If someone is a meat-eater, they are increasing their risk for heart problems and if someone is a vegetarian, they are putting themselves at risk for not getting the nutrients they need. There are foods that aren't meat that do contain the proper nutrients. Ever heard of vegetables? Eggs? Tofu? Beans? Fruit? These are the reasons I disagree with you. Personally, I don't care if people eat meat. They can do whatever the heck they want. But just like you don't want me telling you not to eat meat, I don't want you telling me to eat meat.

If you are a meat eater, I hope you think twice before trying to change a vegetarian’s mind about their veggies.

Ali_L BRONZE said...
on Dec. 14 2010 at 1:33 am
Ali_L BRONZE, X, California
I haven't researched it yet, but from what you explained about the study from "the truth about food", it sounds a little bit biased. And why would a vegetarian start eating meat for a study?
There are also a lot of other ways to get the nutrients you talked about. Vegetarians usually do their research. Plus, most of America's population is consuming too much protein, which is not healthy either.

Ali_L BRONZE said...
on Dec. 14 2010 at 1:30 am
Ali_L BRONZE, X, California
I agree completely! I have not heard a single argument that I consider valid as to why humans should eat meat.

J. Rae said...
Geeze people! Why are we even arguing about this? Some scientists say that it is healthier to eat meat, and some say that it is healthier to be a vegetarian. It's a never ending circle of arguing that can never be totally proven. The choice of vegetarianism or non is a choice that people should be able to make in peace, not with millions of people spurting out facts to say that one or the other is unhealthy.

J. Rae said...

THe reason your acne went away is probably because 50% of the oil/fat you consume  is found in meat.

Vegetarianism can be healthier, but it can become very dangerous if you do not get the right amount of protein and vitamins elsewhere.

sophie_d said...
sophie_d, Rigaud, Other

Maybe we have to break everything to make something better out of ourselves.

I stopped eating meat and my acne went away. I look and feel much better. You're right ELM522, the author should check the facts!

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
on Jul. 20 2010 at 8:07 am
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

I'm a vegetarian, and you should really check your facts because it is proved that the majority of vegetarians are healthier than the average meat-eater.

UnbrokenJane said...
on Apr. 23 2010 at 9:00 am
UnbrokenJane, Martinez, Georgia

I completely agree with you on this point. Many people are blind to the fact that in order for nature to work properly, living creatures must die. Our planet does not have enough resources to feed everyone and everything, no matter what species you are, and that's why there is natural selection and evolution.

Humans are omnivores, and therefore we need to hunt meat and gather plants. It has been this way since our early days as human beings. Herbivores, like deer, cows, pigs, and chickens, have an abundance of food that is easily replenished and aquired. If allowed to, herbivores would over produce and over run the planet, similar to an infestation of bugs or rodents. The reason these animals reproduce so quickly is that they are easy prey to other forces of the world and need to have a large population so that they do not die out.

One point of the vegetarian lifestyle that is frequently addressed is the mistreatment of livestock and other mass produced animals for food. I do agree with them on this point that animals are more than just food for us and they do deserve a chance at life, but there are ways to get around this. Free-range animal meat is sold in stores, many people hunt for their own meat, as you have said, and with so many animal rights organizations out there as well as advancements in technology and biogenetics, it is possible that at some point in the future these conditions will be improved upon.

Thank you for writing such a well thought out and well written article.

UnbrokenJane said...
on Apr. 22 2010 at 8:54 am
UnbrokenJane, Martinez, Georgia
Accidentally posted a new comment instead of a reply. Sorry. Please ignore this. >.<

UnbrokenJane said...
on Apr. 22 2010 at 8:54 am
UnbrokenJane, Martinez, Georgia

The first sentence of your comment is irritating beyond all belief. Just because we are sentient doesn't me we can "choose" what our body needs to survive. Choosing to not eat meat may be acceptable today with man-made, nutrient enriched foods, but when our digestive systems were first developing, these sort of luxuries were not available. In nature, it is not only beneficial but necessary for survival to eat meat. Even with new sorts of food available today, it has still been proven that certain nutrients, like phosphorus, are more easily processed when aquired from meat. In foods like cereals, phosphorus is present in phytic acid, which needs to be hydrolized before the body can use it. Phosphorus in meat can be absorbed without being hydrolized, expending less energy.

Now think about what you said about "choosing" our own food. By that same logic, do you find canabalism to be acceptable? Eating isn't an issue left up to personal choice or preference. If someone preferred to eat only potato chips and ice cream for the rest of their life, their doctor, friends, or family would tell them they shouldn't because A) these things are bad for our bodies and B) they wouldn't be receiving the nutrients necessary for our bodies to work properly.

And since you mentioned starving children, I'll have you know that it's not the poverty of the country that is keeping these families from getting food. The governments that run these countries keep these people in poverty so that they can live in luxury. I know of several cases personally of people who sent money or food to third-world countries and the government either sent the food back, saying it wasn't "good enough," took the money for themselves, or sold that very same food on the streets for the same prices that the people living there cannot afford. So don't tell people to send money when it's not going to do any good.

I totally agree with you. Some people eat meat, and some don't. It's not really polite, either, to some of the vegetarians out there. I happen to have a vegetarian friend, and she is just fine, if you ask me.

If this is a persuasive, I'm not sure it's the best topic out there. I wouldn't try to change people's minds about what they eat. Come on, is it really necessary? As long as they're eating healthy, why bother?

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

I am personally not on a side. I've posted replies, to any comment I've disagreed with, whether for or against meat-eaters, but I believe it is your choice of what to eat. There is evidence meat-eaters are healthier, and their is evidence vegetarians are healthier. The only thing that I basically have to say to every comment is that other animals eat meat, other animals eat veggies, we are just animals, and in the animal world, both are acceptable, so let people do what they want.

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

Ummm... Are you allowed to post your e-mail address? i don't think you are. Maybe that's something you want to check with the editor.

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

A petting zoo ain't much better than being on a farm about to be killed, just saying!

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

My post double posted, sorry!

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

I agree in part with the author and in part with mae-mae. Yes, you shouldn't say to vegetarians not to push their vegetarian lifestyle on others and then push your omnivore lifestyle on us. However how is meat not good for us, mae- mae? to the author I would like to state that vegetarians are probably vegetarians because of the thought of eating something living. I am not a vegetarian so I can't be sure, but I don't think it's because they think meat is bad! i do like your article, and agree with most of the facts, however these are just some things to think about.