Game Developing | Teen Ink

Game Developing

By RyanWS BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
RyanWS BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Jobs in game developing are on the rise currently, and no one is too late to join in! One should get a job in game developing because it's a great career. Technology is rising and soon computers and machines will take up most jobs in the US.

One thing that computers can't do at the moment or probably anytime soon is manage themselves, or in this case, develop games. There are plenty of job openings for game developers, as there are many game companies all around the US. Game developing is not just one job; it includes a wide array of different jobs as a whole. For instance, you could work in Art and Animation design for games, or you could program things in games such as writing heavy scripts to make characters move or interact, or you could create audio in games, like voices of characters, or the very background music that plays in the game! To work for most companies, you may be required to have at least a bachelor’s degree. Also, there are special trade schools for game developing as well, like programming, arts and graphic design, and level designing.

Most people say finding a job in game developing is impossible, or it's too hard to get a job in that position, but that's not all true. There is always the option of becoming an indie developer. An indie developer is one person or a group of people that make their own games and put them out for others to play. Getting money by being an indie game developer is possible, but they are generally not noticed as much as the big corporations. Recently there have been people trying to bring out the indie game area, such as you tuber Markiplier, who makes commentary videos of himself playing indie games, most of which are in the horror genre.

Also, as a game developer you are put in a good environment. Game developers work in a stress-free work zone, with friendly people, and one can usually make friends out of it. There is also a lot of fun in it. I myself enjoy games thoroughly and would love to go into the game developing career. It would be great to see something get out into the world and know that I was a part of it.

Games in general are greatly numbered in the world and you make good wages for developing them. The average salary of a game developer (in general) taken from studies in 2011 in common companies is at $81,192. That is more than an average salary of a mechanical engineer or a veterinarian. One should not worry about not having the highest pay if they're having fun with their job, though. Game developing is one of the next big careers! So get in that chair and figure out the first step to becoming a game developer now!