Limiting Genetically Modified Food | Teen Ink

Limiting Genetically Modified Food

By K7777 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
K7777 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Genetically modified food is widely available these days. When critics think of genetically modified food, the pros include the idea of the production for an abundance of food supplied to the world, a limitless variety of foods in the market, availability for supply and demand, resistance of disease towards the safety of crops, and the list goes on. What we don’t think about is the long term harm that can come out of the food that we eat every day, because some of us don’t think twice about it. Personally, I’m very self-conscious about the things I eat, but that may not mean very much to companies creating the products we all consume. The government and FDA claim that basically the majority of foods are safe to eat, but there hasn’t been any long term research done for the possible harm. Weigh the positives for society between the value of your health. Genetically modified food should be limited, but still available.

I don’t know what their definition of safe is to allow the regulation of much of the in organic food we find in the market. What about all of the “nutrients” that are artificially inserted? Often times, artificial ingredients are substituted in place of natural ingredients where the body doesn’t recognize the foreign substance, negatively causing it to stay in the body. Also to demonstrate the idea of the harm possible, one specific artificial color additive was linked to causing behavioral disorder in kinds (80% of children diagnosed with ADHD were cured in two weeks by avoiding certain ingredients)! Genetically modified food has brought along the problem of inserting a specific DNA of food unknown to the buyer, but there is a possibility of bringing up a food allergen to that consumer. With harming the body, there also comes harm to the land with pesticides, chemicals, herbicides, and fertilizers (all for a quickened stimulation of food supply in growth). This can throw off eating habits of animals resulting in a chain reaction, ultimately affecting the environment (which could take decades to truly fix). The typical-packaged food, fast food, and frozen entrees people consume (all containing high levels of preservatives) are linked to cancer, obesity, tumors, and the list goes on. Why not try to at least decrease the chances and the possible harm that can affect the body?

So why would we continue this large mass production of genetically modified and artificial products when we can still limit it, while still having it available? There isn’t much reason to harm yourself when it comes to health and the planet we live on, when there can be other solutions and areas of research to make organic food more widely available in the markets. Maybe one solution could be creating more organic farms instead of using land for human construction. Looking on the bright side, eating organic helps develop healthy eating habits, and it’s very nutritional for the well-being of everyone. It’s very important to be aware of what we consume.