Change the Menu, Change the world. | Teen Ink

Change the Menu, Change the world.

By Michellefm97 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Michellefm97 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

McDonald’s feeds about 68 million people daily; that is 1% of the world’s population. Among these customers there have been complaints about McDonald’s menu, and how there’s barely any nutritional value in their foods. So should this world-famous, fast-food restaurant change their original menu to become healthier for their customers? I argue that it should.

Some people may say that they like McDonald’s for their fast service and satisfying meals. Children seem to be the ones who are mainly drawn to the restaurant, and I don’t think that child obesity increasing is just a “simple coincidence”. Children are easily lured by this company by their use of cartoons and toys in advertisements; but most importantly, the playgrounds. They keep the kids busy and the parents like that.

As for the meals, the majority have no real nutritional value. 100% real meat isn’t used in any of the meals. For example: There are ingredients in the McRib that can be found in a yoga mat, and chicken McNuggets are made out of a pink goop. A Happy Meal consists of: 390 calories, 15g of fat, and 18g of protein. I think that it’s a shame that “fast food” nowadays has a tendency to be unhealthy food.

A reason that McDonald’s has so many customers is because of their cheap prices. If they were to change their menu, they may have to slightly increase their prices because they’d be using better ingredients to make the food healthier for their customers. Wouldn’t you pay more for food that’s better for you? Recently McDonald’s has tried to add more nutritional meals to their Menu; such as salads and some of the breakfast meals.

In conclusion, if McDonald’s cares about their customer’s health, they should probably improve their menu much more. Our society nowadays seems to be going towards “healthy living”. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a fast food restaurant with “healthy” food? McDonald’s should definitely consider becoming part of the healthy food revolution for fast restaurants.