Tan or No Tan? | Teen Ink

Tan or No Tan?

By rachel_mastrianni44 BRONZE, Albany, New York
rachel_mastrianni44 BRONZE, Albany, New York

Look to the future and leave the rest behind.

Laying out in the sun is one of the best feelings. Getting tan. Feeling good. Killing time. It is a really relaxing way to get a tan and hang out. But when people use the artificial tanning booths, you should know what long-term effects that it can have.

I want to warn teens about about the cancerous dangers of tanning; it can cause skin damage or even cancer. Your melanoma or cells usually associated with skin cancer, increases by 75 percent if you use tanning booths before the age of 35!

The lights in tanning booths are so bright because of the Ultraviolet rays that give you the immaculate tan. People have to use the black out glasses because it could make you go blind. The Ultraviolet rays that give you the tan are artificial or fake.

I feel that teenagers should not use the tanning booths because of the long-term effects it can do to your body. However I know that you get a good tan and all, but it is not worth the risk of cancer and skin damage.

My stepmother Tanya, used to use tanning booths from age 15 to age 17 she was diagnosed with skin cancer at age 17. That is why when you are a teenager you are more likely to be diagnosed then when you are above the age of 35. She eventually went on and beat the cancer, but still it can be very dangerous.

So next time you go to use one or you know someone you know is going to use them warn them about the effects it can have on the body.

This was a Language Arts writing piece that my teacher assigned and I really liked writing this.