Freedom of Speech? | Teen Ink

Freedom of Speech?

In this day and age, we are taught to be politically correct. Many of us are so worried about offending others that we don't share what we really feel. Do you wonder why so many teens are apathetic and seem to have no opinion?
Today I spoke my mind at work, simply stating my religious beliefs when I was asked. I didn't force it on anyone, but immediately one of my co-workers bristled and couldn't say enough rude things to me.
The list goes on and on- my science teacher doesn't mention Creation; she simply states Evolution as a fact. To my surprise, 30 heads nodded up and down- no one even thought to have a different opionion than the teacher. If she says it, it must be right.
So where do we draw the line? Is it okay to share our religious beliefs, our political views, or any other controversial topic at school or the workplace? It seems like a lose-lose situation to me: if you don't say anything, no one gets offended but you don't get your point across. If you do, someone is bound to be upset.
Here's my thoughts: say what you believe. Let your point get across. However, don't state it as fact. Don't force it upon other people. If someone says something that you don't agree with, don't be rude or take it personally. Can we have a little tolerance here?

I was inspired to write this piece when someone from work attacked me (verbally) tonight. I think if we all stop worrying so much about what other people are going to think, we as a whole could get so much farther!:)