Within A Creative Mind | Teen Ink

Within A Creative Mind

April 22, 2013
By Niki Wasserman BRONZE, Parklan, Florida
Niki Wasserman BRONZE, Parklan, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A thin line between reality and fantasy exists within the dimensions of a creative mind. Those who suffer from fancifulness struggle to make the distinction, often wavering between the two worlds and merging them as one. Those who exude imagination, conversely, maintain a tight grip on reality, infusing it with fantastical ideas and propositions. In current society, imaginative and fanciful people coexist, yet their minds reside in alternate universes. In the life of a fanciful person, dreams just remain dreams, limited by the constraints of practicality. However, in the life of an imaginative person, dreams come alive, breaking through barriers and transforming the world.

An imaginative mind seeks and embodies inspiration. It is used to describe those who endure in the face of adversity and flourish in the midst of creativity. Imaginative people conjure up ideas of brilliance and are capable of translating those ideas into something remarkable. Imaginative is sometimes synonymous with genius. Inventors, architects, designers, writers, and artists are all considered imaginative-genius and original in their own ways. Individually, each of their complex minds formulates new and unusual, yet sensible and realistic thoughts that eventually leave an impact on each of their respective lines of work. Collectively, they define and contribute to the diversity and ingenuity that characterize the improving, growing, and ever-changing society. As fashion designers watch as their creations grace the runways of New York Fashion Week, modern architects marvel at the expansive skyscraper that was once just a penciled sketch, and gifted inventors wait for their brainchild to advance society, imaginative people exist and prosper everywhere. Recently, people regard the late Steve Jobs as the most imaginative of the decade. He envisioned a world like no other and transformed his imagination into reality. His Apple products revolutionized technology, fostering the production of various forms of communication with a modern spin. Jobs, along with the myriad of other imaginative minds, serve as the reason for the adjective’s positive and endearing connotation.

A fanciful mind thrives in a false and warped reality. Those who are fanciful have ideas that are too complicated or unrealistic to execute. They create scenarios that only exist in their own mind, yet they truly believe their unlikely worlds have realistic potential. Young children are often considered fanciful. As they engage in conversation with imaginary friends and vocalize their dreams of becoming a princess or the president one day, children epitomize fanciful thinking. Fanciful people have high hopes that often conclude in disappointment. They rarely establish themselves or make a significant impact, since their beliefs are not relevant in a cutting and developing society. Imaginative people often pity and ridicule those who are fanciful, sympathizing with their ability to dream, yet unfamiliar with their inability to carry out their imaginations. Over time, as more fanciful people fall victim to their fantasy worlds, the word has adopted a negative connotation.

On the surface, fanciful people and imaginative people are indistinguishable. They both see beyond the world before them, refuse to settle for conformity, and radiate with originality. They both live in their own fairytales. However, as the fanciful ones remain perched in their towers with their heads in the clouds, aimlessly and giddily waiting for rescue, the imaginative ones remain mentally grounded, using their innate creativity to engineer their own rescue and seize the moment. Although both view the world as a place with everlasting possibilities, only the imaginative ones prevail when times call for keeping one’s reality and fantasy two separate, yet cooperative entities. A fanciful mind is hindered by endless limitations, while an imaginative mind is endlessly limitless.