Human Trafficking | Teen Ink

Human Trafficking

April 22, 2013
By Anonymous

Human Trafficking


Can you imagine being taken to a place where people beat you, rape you, and gang rape you by someone you loved? Dai was abused as a child and promised herself to never let anything like that happen again. She grew up and fell in love with a military man and he persuaded her to move in to an undisclosed area. There, she was raped and beat and handcuffed to a door in an abandoned house. She finally escaped but had no identity, driver license or social security card because he had confiscated it before she left. She was a runaway and had no where to go so spent most of her nights on the street. One day she was approached by a middle aged woman, unaware that the lady was a women pimp; she wanted Dai to come work for her in the Escort Service. She said it was a dating company. Desperate for money, food and a place to stay she went with her. She found out too soon it was another human trafficking area and she was abused and abandoned again. Cops eventually found her tied up in a cabinet and the officer untied her and gave her a big hug.



According to Batstone, every year as many as 17,500 people are trafficked to the United States from over 50 countries worldwide, of which 80 percent are female and 50 percent are children. The United States is one of the top places for people to go for human trafficking. Human trafficking could be happening right next door to you and you’d never know because of the secrecy. The more we know about it the more we can help people who have been victims. Just one phone call could save a life.



Countries where prostitution is legal experience larger reported numbers of human trafficking, according to new research that investigates the impact of legalized prostitution on what is thought to be one of the fastest growing criminal industries in the world. However, research suggests that in countries where prostitution is legalized, there is such a significant expansion of the prostitution market the end result is larger reported inflows of human trafficking.



“They say that we as human beings have a right to be free from any form of slavery, abuses, violence and fear.” Just because human slavery is illegal doesn’t mean it prevents it, it occurs everywhere. They aren’t treated like human beings. People are tricked into thinking these people will give them good jobs or help them fulfill their dreams. Poverty, lack of employment opportunities, lack of knowledge and information, weak law enforcement from government, unequal gender roles, and community and family pressures to employ children are the main factors why human trafficking keep rising each day.





I’ve noticed from my research that most people who are victims of sex trafficking are in foster care, adopted, abused/molested as a child or runaway. Why do you think this is? Some people in foster care are abused so with that they runaway and have no money and no where to stay. They usually have to sleep on the streets at night and go weeks without food. Finally someone will approach seeming like they care about their health and life and want to help them offer them to come with them, willing to do anything for food and shelter, they go with. They find out soon enough the people who took them are not here to give them money or food. They are forcing them to sell themselves for sex. No matter how old. Sometimes it doesn’t happen like that. Mostly runaways just get abducted by “pimps.”


The dangers of human trafficking are obvious; abuse, physical and psychological pain, sexual transmitted diseases, and permanent scars, mental illness, and death. I think the government should be more involved with this problem because these trafficking places have very low risk of getting caught. That’s why it keeps happening. I think they should put money aside for more officers just for this purpose. So there would be less deaths and more rescues, because most of the time you’re lucky if you survive.