Educator of the Year: Mrs. Farmer | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year: Mrs. Farmer

By Gracie Ruiz BRONZE, Wilington, Delaware
Gracie Ruiz BRONZE, Wilington, Delaware

Summer was over, and I was dreading school more than anything. I walked in on the first day of school. The only thing I really knew was that Mrs. Farmer was my homeroom teacher. I walked into her class and then I realized she taught science, I didn’t really like science as much as I thought I did. So right then and there I thought “Oh no what am I going to do?” She introduced herself as any other teacher would, same old same old. As I listened to her talk, I remember her saying “Hopefully we would have a good year, and that we would all have fun in her class.” I was hoping that these words were true!

As the year passed on and we were in her class, I realized how proud she was to teach science. She loved it so much; she made others fall in love with it! When you listened to her talk about the Sun or anything, you could see how much she was willing to teach others. Every day you would learn something from her. Seems pretty boring right? No one really likes to learn, especially when it’s boring. But she made everything stand out, and it amazed you in a way you wouldn’t forget. Her class ever rarely involved text books; we did more labs. She knew that kids didn’t like sitting there reading out of a textbook. It made most people fall asleep. She always made sure her students were having fun, but also learning.

Most people, when they think of a teacher, they think of a person who teaches you the most boring things. But with Mrs. Farmer it was totally different! She was someone you could relate too, someone who could be a role model to you. Someone who you actually learn from. If you ever needed anybody to talk to ,you could just go to Mrs. Farmer she would always be there no matter what. Anytime I needed to talk about school or just my personal life she knew exactly what to say. She would never let you down! I would think of her as my friend. She was a teenager once; she knew what I was going through. She wasn’t just a teacher; she was like a second mom.
As a teacher, Mrs. Farmer was always laid back. At the same time, she cared for your grades. She was never too strict about anything. She had the best personality! She would never give up on any student, even if the student wanted to give up. She wouldn’t let them! I would always see her talking to a student. There was never really a time that I didn’t. She was always involved in her student’s life, whether it was outside life or school life. It made me really proud to know that I had a teacher that really cared about me and my classmates. In any way she could she would help anybody; she would put others before herself! I knew she really cared about me, and cared about my classmates, and even once in a while she talked about her amazing family. She loved them, and she was so proud of them. She had the best stories you could ever imagine; it was really nice to know you had someone in your life like that!

Educator of the Year, Mrs. Farmer is truly the person to choose! No doubt about it! She’s an amazing mother, teacher, role model, and last but not least friend. There aren’t enough words to explain how truly amazing she is! I don’t think my 8th grade year would’ve been the best without her. She taught me so many things. I will never forget her. Every time I think about her, I think about all the best memories we had! Every time I think about this quote, I think of her “I have learned that people will forget what you said; people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” She made me feel like I could do anything. She made me feel like I could reach my goals. She inspired me so much, and if I could have her as a science teacher again I would. I couldn’t thank her enough for everything she did for me. She’s truly amazing and I’ll never forget her.