Goals | Teen Ink

Goals

April 14, 2013
By Winston3345 BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey
Winston3345 BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Throughout history, people dreamed of many luxuries that exist today. Those luxuries were made possible by the few people who never stopped pursuing their goal. “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today,” or in other words, dream as if you’ll have all the time to achieve what you set out for, but still work hard every day. As long as you do not stray away from the path you take, you will arrive at your destination eventually.

Look at Felix Baumgartner. Skydiving from outer space may seem like an impossible task, but Felix Baumgartner achieved it. Not only did he break the world record for the highest jump- he jumped from a height of 24 miles above ground, but he also broke the sound barrier. He had reached a speed over 830 miles per hour. Before it was achieved, it may have seen impossible to Felix Baumgartner, but he didn’t get discouraged, he continued working for his goal. He didn’t care about the risks either, because if he had start spinning in the wrong direction, he would suffer major brain damage, if his suit was torn, his blood would have evaporated and all we would find from him would be a small pile of bones. Felix Baumgartner hadn’t stop heading towards his goal so at the end, his dream came true. If everyone work hard every day, there goal will be accomplished.

In the book, Tangerine by Edward Bloor, Erik Fisher also has a goal- to become a professional football player. He also works hard to achieve it, but doesn’t do it in a good way. When Mike Costello, a football player in the book, died, Erik was happy. That meant that he had a better chance to show off his skills. If one wants to achieve their goal, they should not be doing it by hoping for another’s downfall. Erik Fisher should have tried to achieve his goal in a more productive way.

One thing that the government has set out to pursue but always procrastinate on is global warming. Unlike those who try to get everything done in one day, the government just always want to have the topic drag to the next day. They spend more time arguing and taking sides on the Democrats and Republicans then doing something productive. Just like how they procrastinated until the fiscal cliff came into action, global warming will also continue to worsen if the government does not address this situation. In the most recent election, both Romney and Obama promised to improve our energy sources and to stop global warming if they were elected, but presently, Obama isn’t make any major moves to stop, or even diminish the pollution. If the government takes action now, global warming might not rise anymore.

If everyone in this world would not stop pursuing their goal, this planet will become better and eventually, cancer might also find a cure. As long as we continue to pursue our goals, the people of the future will look back and appreciate the ones who made a difference on this planet.