Teen Violence | Teen Ink

Teen Violence

April 4, 2013
By BEnCloW495 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
BEnCloW495 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Trying is the first step towards failure.


A topic that has been around for a few years now is the topic of teen violence vs. video games. Do violent video games really cause violence in teens? My opinion is no. Cases with teen violence do not always involve video games. I am a video game player myself, yet I am usually not a violent person and I never intend to inflict harm on anyone. I wanted to see why video games were called the cause of violence so I looked it up. I actually found more evidence supporting video games than against them.

According to procon.org, the amount of bullies in schools has dropped from 60% to 30% with the release of popular war games like Modern Warfare, Black Ops, and Medal of Honor. 30% of the kids who bully others seem to stop bullying in order to play their game more. These types of games are highly addictive and take time out of someone’s day that they could use to bully someone. These games also give the bullies a fake person to take their rage and emotions out on. So the question is this.

Do video games really cause people to be so wrapped up in killing or hurting its character, that people think it is the same in real life? This would be extremely hard to prove. Really all we can say is that violent people will always be violent. According to violentvideo.com, only 2/5 of all public crimes have had the lawbreaker playing video games recently. That is less than half. People should not be led to believe that video games are the source of all violence. So why are they blamed?

Video games are used as a false acquaintance when some person commits a violent act. Parents refuse to see evil in their kids and turn to the only violent and visually addicting thing they can find; video games. Video games have an unfair disadvantage against the people who wants to ban them. They do not really have any purpose for anybody to use them, so why not go after them? I cannot answer this.

Violent people have been around for a long time. Adolf Hitler and Al Capone were violent and they never played a video game. The mean kids in my grade have always been mean, even before they played video games. So video games can’t cause all violence.

All of these ideas point to one conclusion, video games are not the source of all violence. Some people may get affected, but not everybody. So next time some violent act is committed, do not blame only video games.


The author's comments:
Idiots inspired me.