Art vs. Craft | Teen Ink

Art vs. Craft

By Abbyross BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
Abbyross BRONZE, Parkland, Florida

In almost all cases, the terms Arts and Crafts are usually bound together, hence the “and.” However, they are not interchangeable contrary to popular belief. Art is not a form of craft, while craft is a form of art. When one looks into the deep implications behind these words, one will notice that there are many differences, subtle, but meaningful. Although art and craftsmanship serve as outlets for one’s creativity, art is an embodiment of talent while craft is a result of acquired skill.
Art encompasses many forms of talent. Whether it is a sculptured masterpiece, an exotic dance, or a shocking documentary, art is an expression of creativity. Through any medium, art stirs emotion. Whether it is like, dislike, or neither, art exposes some sort of emotional reaction. For example, a classic ballet can create euphoria, while a gruesome movie scene can engender fear and disgust. Either way, both are results of artistic intent. When one produces art, he become a master of his playing field. However, art truly lies in the eyes of the beholder. What may seem as talent to one may not seem as anything extraordinary to the other.
Craft on the other hand, is a tactile expression of art. It cultivates hard work and determination in order to produce the admirable result. While art is judged based on critical opinion, craft is judged based on superior execution of basic skill. Craft exposes the individual’s competence to express certain procedures. For example, the juvenile Popsicle-stick house or the standard wooden birdhouse is characterized as a craft because of its simplicity. Crafts are primarily associated with tangible products as results of practiced execution of skill. They do not portray superior creativity or abstract originality.
While the terms art and craft often go hand in hand, there is much disparity between the two. Art is based on expression of talent while the latter is based on expression of skill. Art is a mastery, an “in your genes” ability that if executed to the likings of the audience, can stir extraordinary reactions. Craft is a combined result of hard work and dedication through any medium. In short, art is ultimately 90% talent, 10% skill, while craft is the complete opposite.

Comparison essay that i wrote for my AP language class