It really is. | Teen Ink

It really is.

April 7, 2013
By figureskater18 SILVER, Alpine, Utah
figureskater18 SILVER, Alpine, Utah
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“It is often in the trial of adversity that we learn those most critical lessons that form our character and shape our destiny.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf


I recently went onto yahoo answers and followed a post that asked people “What was the hardest thing you’ve ever been through?” Soon after, I realized that this world is full of a lot of hardships and a lot of despair. “I watched my son help carry his father’s coffin,” “We lost our house in Hurricane Katrina,” “I had to take my wife off life support three years ago,” “I was a drug addict,” “My high school prom date ditched me for my best friend two weeks before prom,” “Going to war,” “My best friend committed suicide, and then the hardest decision was wondering if I should do the same or not.”

After reading those I thought “Great. Well…there goes all of my optimism for the day…”

Thank goodness I looked closer.

You see, the son who helped carry his father’s coffin? He is now a father, himself. He spends quality time with his family every day—his best friends are his children, and he is creating the best memories with them. He knows life is fragile.

The family that lose their house in Hurricane Katrina? Many of them now volunteer at the American Red Cross—helping people who are going through many of the things they went through. And they are phenomenal volunteers! Their stories encourage other victims to impact others by giving back as well. They are the perfect examples of living a life dedicated to service—teaching people that everyone has the power to influence someone’s life for the better.

The father who had to take his wife off life support? He has gained a completely new perspective of life. He developed an “attitude of gratitude” by learning to not take things for granted. In fact, today—many people ask him: “WHY are you so happy?” He replies: “It’s a long story…these past three years have actually been the HARDEST years in my life. But as I look for things that I am grateful for every day…I don’t know. It just makes me happy. I’ve been blessed with so much.”

The drug addict? It took many years of therapy, but he isn’t addicted anymore. He learned that he has the power to be anything he wants to be. He learned how to better manage his stress, and he learned that he is in COMPLETE control of his life. He is now happily married—expecting their first little one in just a short three months!

I know you’re wondering…the poor high school guy whose prom date ditched him for his best friend? I actually don’t know what happened to this guy… hopefully he at least developed a better sense of humor! :)

But the man who went to war? His love for this country has grown TREMENDOUSLY. His love for his family also strengthened. “I love you,” are the most frequent words he speaks. He doesn’t just say it—he means it. And his precious family’s definition of those three little words has taken on an entire new meaning.

The woman who’s best friend committed suicide? She sees people the way God sees them. She doesn’t judge anyone, she is quick to offer a helping hand, and is known for one item in her purse: thank you cards. She writes them to the bus driver, her waiter at Olive Garden, the person that smiled at her on the Subway, the list goes on and on. She says, “I don’t know exactly what people are going through—but I do know that everyone has something they’re going through. If I can sprinkle just a little goodness on their day—whether I’ve known them my whole life or I’ve never seen them before and probably will never see them again—I believe there is a reason we are crossing each other’s paths. I just want to make people happy—and if I can get them to smile even for just one second, then I’ve accomplished something that was worth going out of my way or getting out of my comfort zone for.”

What a powerful awakening…I used to think this world was full of crushed dreams and lost hope. I used to think this world was full of heartbreak and sleepless nights. I used to think this world was full of mental illnesses. This world was full of abuse. This world was full of disappointments and failures. Death. Drugs. Low self esteem. Pain. Tears. Aches. Sorrows. Fears. I used to think that this world was full of people who have been strong just a little too long.And you know what?

IT IS.

But because it is—this world is full of dreams that come true when all hope seems to be gone. This world is full of mended hearts, willing hands, and nights where one can’t sleep only because they are overwhelmed with the blessings they’ve been given. “How did I get so lucky?” This world is full of humble people. This world is full of people who would never dream of causing harm. This world is full of people who realize that they can do hard things if they just keep trying. This world is full of appreciation. Potential. True beauty. Joy. Smiles. Relief. Happiness. Comfort…This world is full of people who have DISCOVERED strength. You see, strength isn’t something you’re born with. It’s something you develop.

It really is.


The author's comments:
Discover your strength. If you EVER need someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to email me. Together we can discover our strength! talk2bb@comcast.net
Love, Brianna