Has Technology Gone Too Far? | Teen Ink

Has Technology Gone Too Far?

Too many times I recall witnessing all my younger cousins crammed in a dark room, all 8 pairs of eyes focused on the computer or television screen, taking turns expertly fighting off imaginary monsters of some sort, trying to rescue the beautiful maiden to bring her back to her castle, the king waiting with a generous reward for the brave hero who will bring his precious daughter home. However, as their tiny fingers fly across a joystick, these kids do not realize that outside that room, beyond that fantasy they are so absorbed in, even more breathtaking wonders await them. As they wait eagerly, anticipating for their chance to play, things they could be learning and experiencing are passing them by.

Over the years, our society’s dependency on technology has unquestionably increased. Sure, it makes life a hell of a lot easier, having connection to the internet, and unlimited access to the world with just the click of a button. Before you start agreeing with me how brilliant technology is, look around for a minute. Everywhere you go, I’m sure you’ve observed teenagers chatting animatedly into their cell phones, lost tourists frantically referring to their GPS system, hectic businessmen clutching their laptops in one hand, a coffee cup in another. Just the other day, I a overheard a woman irritably complaining loudly about how preposterous it was, this meal took a whole 4 minutes to heat up in the microwave! Her friends agreed with her dutifully. “Who has time for this? It’s absurd, why won’t they invent something that is ready in 1 minute or something?”

It’s not hard to envision the day where people grumble that one minute is too lengthy of a wait for a meal to be ready. Technology is so extremely fundamental and important for the majority of us, we’ll be astray without it. However, do we really need a machine that toasts cute animals onto bread? Is a machine where people imitate jumping rope necessary when there is a perfectly fine jump rope put away in the corner? It’s understandable for parents to resort to hand held games to keep mischievous, energetic children entertained and busy. Nevertheless, it is a bit disheartening to imagine the future as technology enhances continuously, altering the way we live our daily life. I might sound a bit hypocritical, I admit it, since I am typing this rant on my laptop while listening to my iPod, however, you get my point.

Samuelnb said...
Why did everything great come out from 2000-2008?

Samuel said...

Samuel said...

Samuel said...

weirdkid said...
This is great for my grade 9 research paper so thanks

catssrulez said...
funny and well written. i loved it!

jennyw said...
THIS IS GREAT!!!!

LWa said...
on Sep. 4 2008 at 1:24 am
Talented writing. Could be a bit deeper, but good nonetheless! Way to go!

tomatofairy said...
on Aug. 29 2008 at 4:57 am
I think you overused the adjectives at times, but overall, I liked your article. and iPods.

swang said...
on Aug. 29 2008 at 12:31 am
This immediately caught my attention. Very light, funny article. Definitely worth publishing.

leroy m said...
great use of examples, amazing beginning, i love it!!

mel mel. said...
on Aug. 26 2008 at 4:59 am
woah. this is funny, and clever. you rock! I like the last part.

leola said...
on Aug. 26 2008 at 4:55 am
Amazing piece

DUDE YOU ARE SO AWESOME! YOU ARE GAURANTEED TO HAVE A GREAT FUTURE JESSICA W.!. i love this. its just so inspiring!!!! you ROCK.

Sheryl 17 said...
insightful and humorous. way to go!