Word banishment | Teen Ink

Word banishment

By ladybugbeth00 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
ladybugbeth00 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Witty title
(I know I’m not supposed to use “I” but to bad)

“Do or do not, there is no try”-(Yoda). “I tried my best,” “I’ll try.” Given the all mighty power I would make these sentences imposable. Except Yoda, because he has the same idea and he’s amazing. So to the word “try” prepare to meet you doom.

The definition of try means ‘to attempt’. If only one could banish the meaning of a word and not just the word its self. You did or you didn't are the only out comes. When you say that “you will try” it is setting yourself up for failure. Why would you attempt, when you can do. I would rather say that I succeeded or failed at something, then say that I “tried”.

Tell me which sounds more positive. “I will try to get the lead in the play.” “I will be the lead in the play.” Not only does the first sound uncertain and negative, but it has the word “get” in it to!! The second sentence is more upbeat and optimistic. Whispering the words “I will” can fill you with more confidence then the words “I’ll try”. “Try” is like saying, “There is a chance I am going to fail.” And there is, but who wants to think about failing?

“Try” is a useless word. “Did you win the race?” “Well I tried.” You either won or you lost. Or at least came in second place or something!) Not only would destroying “try” destroy unneeded speaking, it would also up confidence. No longer would it be “I’d tried” or “I’ll try”, but “I did”
and “I’ll do”. To quote The Little Engine That Could, “I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I know I can.”

I was told that if i was it a given the power to banish any word from the English language what would it be and why. So i chose to banish the word "Try". I was also told to give it a "witty title", so i did. ;)