Being a Part of 4-H | Teen Ink

Being a Part of 4-H

October 22, 2012
By KaylenaVG BRONZE, Tustin, Michigan
KaylenaVG BRONZE, Tustin, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'd rather be dumped by a horse than a man


Are you an animal lover? Do you love going to fairs in the summer? If you said yes to either one of these or both you should consider 4-H! 4-H is a huge part of my life, and I love it!

I have been in 4-H for around 6 years. This has given me the privilege to show both horses and pigs. Currently I am raising pigs, goats, and turkeys! One of each will be shown, and sold at the Northern District Fair in August 2012. The other ones my family will eat. Over the next few months I will be working with my goats and pigs. This will make them mind me and not be scared of their surroundings. I won’t do much with my pigs other than pet them so they are used to me.

Raising animals, showing, and being in 4-H teaches me a lot! Raising the animals teaches me responsibility and hard work. These animals count on me to be able to eat, so if I’m not responsible and feed them they starve. Hard work comes in more than one way with my animals. One is with cleaning their pens, while trying to keep them in. This can be very troubling. Another thing that is hard with them is training. This I’d say is the hardest part. Making an animal stand still, and not get distracted is hard and frustrating. Especially when goats are known for jumping a lot and turkeys are known for flying. All of these things will help me for the rest of my life.

My 4-H doesn’t just raise and show animals. We hold square dances for the community, go to clinics to be more knowledgeable about animals and everyday things, and help each other with our animals. For the most part every month we have a square dance we do it to raise money for a different organization. In the past we have done it for our group, Le Roy library, and many more. Through our square dances we don’t just raise money for organizations but we also have a ton of fun! Every year our group will give us each $50 for a clinic of our choice. Some people use the money and some don’t. Also some people go to clinics and some don’t. As for me I have never gone to a clinic but I might this summer at MSU. If someone in the group doesn’t know how to do something, or are having troubles with their animals then usually whoever knows the most about that animal will help them. I know this year I will be getting a lot of help with my turkeys and goats this year.

I love 4-H, and it will always be a huge part of my life. This is a great organization for all aged kids. Even if you don’t have animals and want to be a part of something join 4-H. There are groups all around the world, so I’m sure you could find one. So get involved!