Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Murder is wrong. Since childhood we have been taught this indisputable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is capital punishment? In its simplest form, capital punishment is defined as one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change. These states need to abolish it on the grounds that it carries a dangerous risk of punishing the innocent, is unethical and barbaric, and is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole.

Capital punishment is the most ­irreparable crime governments perpetrate without consequence, and it must be abolished. “We’re only ­human, we all make mistakes,” is a commonly used phrase, but it is tried and true. Humans, as a species, are famous for their mistakes. However, in the case of the death penalty, error becomes too dangerous a risk. The innocent lives that have been taken with the approval of our own government should be enough to abolish capital punishment.

According to Amnesty International, “The death penalty legitimizes an irreversible act of violence by the state and will inevitably claim innocent victims.” If there is any chance that error is possible (which ­there always is), the drastic measure of capital ­punishment should not be taken. Also, it is too final, meaning it does not allow opportunity for th accused to be proven innocent, a violation of the Fifth Amendment which guarantees due process of law.

District Judge Jed S. Rakoff of the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan ­argued against the death penalty: “In brief, the Court found that the best available evidence indicates that, on the one hand, innocent people are sentenced to death with materially greater frequency than was previously supposed and that, on the other hand, convincing proof of their innocence ­often does not emerge until long after their convictions. It is therefore fully foreseeable that in enforcing the death penalty a meaningful number of innocent people will be executed who otherwise would eventually be able to prove their innocence.”

As humans, we are an inevitable force of error. However, when a life is at stake, error is not an option. The death penalty is murder by the government. As a nation, we have prided ourselves in our government, its justice and truth. However, can we continue to call our government fair if we do not hold it to the same rules we do its people? Murder by a citizen will have consequences, yet a government-approved ­murder is not only acceptable, but enforceable. What message do we send the American people, and other countries, for that matter, if we continue to be a ­nation that kills its citizens, a nation that enforces the most barbaric form of punishment?

The Illinois Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty states, “We don’t cut off the hands of thieves to ­protect property; we do not stone adulterers to stop adultery. We consider that barbaric. Yet we continue to take life as a means of protecting life.” No person, government-affiliated or not, has the right to decide if another human is worthy or unworthy of life. Our natural rights as humans, which cannot be taken away by the government, include the right to life. Humans are not cold metal coins that lose value; no act, no matter how heinous, can make a person less of a human being. However, for most it is easy to ­forget that each of the 1,099 executed since 1977 are fellow humans, not just numbers.

According to Amnesty International, “The death penalty violates the right to life.” Capital punishment contradicts our moral beliefs and claims of a fair and just government. The U.S. must join its political ­allies – including Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, South Africa, and most of Latin America – that have abolished the death penalty.

The death penalty is favored by some as an effective deterrent of crime; however, it is proven that states with the death penalty actually have higher murder rates than those without. It is proven that our nation does not need this extreme threat of punishment to prevent crime. In 2006, the FBI Uniform Crime Report revealed that the area of the U.S. that was responsible for the most executions (the South with 80 percent) also had the highest murder rate, whereas the Northern areas that had the fewest ­executions (less than one percent), had the lowest murder rates.

It can be said that the death penalty is the most overlooked form of government hypocrisy; we murder people who murder people to show that murder is wrong. It is this contradiction in policy that confuses criminals and undermines any crime deterrence capital punishment was intended to have.

Many people favor the death penalty as reparation for the wrong done to a victim’s family; however, in most cases, closure is not the result. Losing a loved one, no matter how that person is lost, is unbearable, irrevocable, and shattering. Pain like this is shocking and the victim’s family holds onto the hope that the execution of the murderer will bring relief and closure. Nevertheless, when execution day arrives, the pain is not eased. No relief can be gained, for their pain is an unavoidable, natural process of life. Victims’ families have founded such groups as the Murder Victims Families for Reconciliation and The Journey of Hope, which oppose the death penalty. They ­believe that they are different from those who have taken their loved ones and they demonstrate their ­difference by refusing to sink to a murderer’s level.

Capital punishment is immoral and a violation of natural rights. It is wrong for everyone involved: the prosecuted innocent, criminals, victims’ families, and our nation. We need to replace the death penalty and capital punishment with life without parole, a safer and more inexpensive option. The death penalty does not guarantee safety for innocent victims, it does not follow the goals and promises of our nation, it does not effectively deter crime, and it does not give closure to victims’ families. Nothing good comes of hate, and nothing good can ever come from capital punishment. It cannot continue to be accepted by a nation that claims to have liberty and justice for all. The death penalty is murder on the sly and it’s dead wrong.

TheEdgar said...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 9:42 am:
in the bible it states that if one man takes the life a another. he has the right to die. yes, i do understand murder is wrong. but would you rather let a murderer run about the streets? or break out of jail and live next to you? capital punishment is biblically correct. and im not saying a theif should die because of his wrong doing. im saying if someone kills someone else he has the right to die.

qwertyqwerty123 replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 7:40 pm :
have you ever seen/read "the lord of the rings"? gandalf says this awesome quote that went something along the lines of "yes some that live deserve death. some that die deserve life. can you give it to them?" i agree with the olivia h. all loss of life is wrong

WritingLoverForever said...
This is one of the best opinion articles I've ever read on teenink. You were very forward with your opinions on this issue--and I agree with them 100%. This was a very convincing and moving article. The death penalty is immoral just like you said and I think of it as a sin. It is not our government's decision to choose who and when somebody should be killed. Murder is wrong, but there is no difference between murder and death penalty except that the government supposedly has rights to car... (more »)

Jacki.Siwel said...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 9:53 am:

The author obviously has an opinion on this issue, but must be careful not to let her voice drown out the argument.  The argument is very much one-sided.  She only mentions the way someone who is pro-capital punishment would view this once, and that only briefly and in little depth.  She does not address the fact, for instance, that someone who suports capital punishment would not consider execution to be murder, albeit this is precisely what the author calls it.  She does... (more »)

mskullgirl said...
I definatley understand your point of view I mean so they killed someone so now we get to kill them? Not the best example but there are so horrible horrible people out there. This one woman left her two children straped in their carseats and let the car drive into a lake. These are children! And she must have heard them scream. If anyone deserves the death penalty it's people like her

Karen C. said...
I agree with this article completely. but since many of our state governments seem to like murdering murderers, maybe the convict should have a choice between death and life in prison. This way innocent people would not be killed because they probably won't choose death. If a person picked death, it would be voluntary, and not murder. The death sentence is never the only solution.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 8:07 am :
Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? The jails would be overrun with murders if we gave them the choice of jail or death. What idiot in their right mind would choose death instead of life??? All your comment is helping is the murderers. People need to stop thinking about them and think about the families of the murdered and what they want and need.

amybug said...
I think that this is false. I think many people that have received the death penalty were guilty. And you said yourself, who are we to decide who gets to live or die. Exactly, we leave that up to the court system. How do you find someone who murdered a little kid, innocent and a victim?

TheEdgar replied...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 9:20 am :
YES! we have to consider this, people! There is mercy but there is also devine justice. and we have to bring these murderers to it.

amybug replied...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm :
Thanks so much for the agreement! I know people think that a human life should be respected, and not just disposed with. I believe that as well, but we have to keep in mind how we would feel if our brother/sister/mother/husband/boyfriend was murdred. The lat thing on our mind would be mercy.

numbernine replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 8:11 am :
Part of your comment said that people believe we should respect all human life. Here's my argument to anyone who says that (not you amybug, other people): if someone doesn't respect others lives and would be willing to mangle them and disrespect their lives to the point of murder, they don't deserve the right to have their life respected. Or they deserve to have their life respected in the same way they respected their victims.

StarlightStormcloud said...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:15 am:

This writer is letting his/her emotions and will to be noble take precedence over pragmatism.  

In the cases where the death penalty would be even CONSIDERED, large amounts of incriminating evidence would have to have been produced.  Ambiguity is really less of a problem than this article makes it out to be.  

Rapists and mass murderers are in no way beneficial to society and therefore have no reason to belong in it.  I don't care if the convicted h... (more »)

alanahlovee replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 8:04 pm :
I agree with the fact that if a person didn't want their family to grieve if they get the death penalty, they wouldn't have committed the crime in the first place.

Kassie#1 said...
Then the goverment needs to understand that their are the innocent to protect therfore every means needs to be taken to prove thier innocents and of course thier if they are guilty. if they are guilty then punishment needs to be enforced.

Rimsha said...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 9:46 am:
great piece i agree 100% thank u

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
While I do agree that capital punishment is wrong, and that high security prisons with disgusting food and violent inmates are almost as good at keeping criminals away from the general public, one must admit that severe punishments to crimes can be beneficial to society. If someone is completely terrified of the punishment for a crime, they are less likely to commit the offense, thus protecting numerous people who would have otherwise become victims. If Hammurabi's code were put in place of the ... (more »)

Sonata16 said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:22 pm:
Your article was well-written (it needed proof in some areas, though), but I have to disagree: you focussed on murderers; what about rapists? What about those who mess up (on average) 4 kids before they are even caught? Those kids are messed up for life while that guy freeloads in jail?? Na, I don't think so. I think it would be even better if it was broad casted, so that people would know the government was actually serious about this punishment. Also, that number of innocent who die by he... (more »)

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 23, 2010 at 12:34 pm :
Excellent comment.  I completely agree

annalena224 replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm :
Death is not, nor should it ever be a punishment. Ever. Not to mention the fact that many crimes are committed due to mental illness and uncontrollable emotions caused by mental illness. If you die and believe in Jesus, I believe you go to Heaven. Is that punishment? No. If you die and don't believe in Jesus, I believe you just die. Is that better than being in jail miserable for years and years? Debatable, but I think so.

Kassie#1 replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm :
SOOOO Right. Thier are woman. children that have those memories FOREVER.

live-love-laugh said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:55 am:

this reminds me of a quote about capital punishment, although i don't know if i agree with your view.

"Why do we kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong?"