Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

Bullying

As you probably know, bullying is a big problem. Chances are you’ve seen it, heard it or been the victim, the bully or a by-stander. It can happen in schools, school yards, walking home, the bus, the mall and just about anywhere else. Did you know that in a Toronto study, bullying occurred about every seven minutes and that teachers were only aware of about only four percent of these events? Well, if you ask me that’s way too much. Now obviously, teachers are trying to stop all of these humiliating, embarrassing, terrifying and sometime even harmful events, but in my school for example there about five-hundred students and only about twenty teachers. So why not get help from other people? People who are often there when the bullying occurs? This, my friends, is you and that is why I’m here to talk.

Bullying can be social (like rumors), physical (like hitting or kicking), verbal, reactive (which is taunting that invites retaliation) or cyber (bullying that happens through email, instant messaging, computer, or any other kind of technology). That is what I found on a website while doing my research.

Bullying can happen many different ways, boys are more likely to be physical, where as girls are more likely to spread rumors. Both however can be verbal, reactive or cyber.

Have you ever had a rumor spread about you? Well, I have and I’ll be the first to tell you that they aren’t any fun. Rumors hurt and the victim will probably remember them for the rest of their lives. It’s kind of like the old saying your parents used to tell you when you were little, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. And, with bullying the only way to stop it is to tell someone.

Most of the time peers don’t like to see someone being bullied but normally happens is that peers don’t want to intervene because they think the bully will be after them next, so it continues. If a peer intervenes, the bullying stops between 7 to 10 times. So if you see someone being bullied either tell an adult or stand up for the victim then it will stop. And, after telling someone or helping the victim you will probably feel really good because you helped someone when they really needed it.

Now, normally the first word you think of when you say the word “victim” is different. Victims are often different in some way, which explains their lack of power. Sometimes the victim might have a disability like autism, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis or dyslexia. They could also have a speech impediment, hearing loss or have be from a different country ( so they could have an accent), be a different race, class, religion or a different family background. But even if they do, they can’t help being who they are. As usual it all comes back to the saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t sat anything at all.”

Well I’m almost at the end of my speech, so if you haven’t been listening to anything I’ve been saying for the last two minutes or so, remember this. Bullying is a serious problem. It can be the cause of killing in extreme cases (like Virginia Tech.). Always stand up for the victim by telling an adult or teacher and never spread rumors. Cause if you are, then you are just fuelling the fire. Remember if you’re not part of the solution, then you’re part of the problem. If your friends aren’t standing up for you then they aren’t your real friends, because it shouldn’t matter to them if you’re different. They should like you for who you are. Honestly, it shouldn’t matter if you’re different but unfortunately in this world it does. Remember if you seize and desist then you can make bullying a problem of the past.