Anorexia: the War inside of You | Teen Ink

Anorexia: the War inside of You

October 12, 2012
By llamasinhats GOLD, Greenville, North Carolina
llamasinhats GOLD, Greenville, North Carolina
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No man knows What he can do until he tries" -Publilius Syrus. "You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren." -William Henry Hudson


Anorexia is an epidemic for teenagers and young adults. Unfortunately, when a person has Anorexia, they control their diet until they do not ever feel hungry. People that are trying to fight Anorexia need help. A few fellow peers have a remarkable opinion on this matter. Unfortunately, depression, beauty products, and models make Anorexia worse.

It is amazing that humans have been fighting depression for centuries and still have not found it curable. Mickey, a seventh grade female, believes that depression “… is okay as long as you don’t take it to an extreme extent such as cutting yourself or other self- abuse. Depression is just a severe form of sadness, and it’s okay to feel sad.” This is technically true, however most people would not agree, such as Dan: “Depression should be treated because it can ruin peoples lives, especially those who are suicidal.” The best way to not be depressed is to think positively and surround oneself with caring and loving friends and family.

Another cause of Anorexia is beauty products and images. People on television are always saying that the only way to be beautiful is to use “that” certain product. They could not be more wrong. Humans were born unique and are beautiful in different ways, and products do not change this. Mrs. Moxie, a middle school teacher, stated, “I think that products and images create an illusion of what people should look like and it’s not obtainable.” This is not only true, but proves it right every day: whenever people get on the Internet, there are very high odds that beauty adds will appear, which tempts women into buying these products to feel beautiful. Women and teenagers are beautiful no matter is they use products or not.
Also, the average female model is five feet and eleven inches tall, and weighs about one hundred seventeen pounds. However, the average female is only five feet and four inches tall, and is approximately one hundred forty pounds (Media Awareness Network). Because of this ratio, fifty to seventy percent of women believe that they are overweight. According to the Media Awareness Network, “Research indicates that exposure to these images of thin, young, air-brushed female bodies is linked to depression, loss of self esteem, and the development of unhealthy eating habits in women and girls.” This shows that people should not rely on other images to be happy with the way they look.
These are all very likely reason that somebody will become Anorexic. Humans do not fully realize the extent of damage they do when they advertise stunning beauty products. People should not resort to being Anorexic to feel skinny and beautiful. If a person is Anorexic, they should work on controlling it and slowly bring more and more into their diet. Working out and eating healthy things, such as fruit, can solve this problem. Anorexia needs to be stopped and cannot be tolerated any longer.