What I believe makes a true leader | Teen Ink

What I believe makes a true leader

By bayy88 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
bayy88 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island

What I believe makes a true leader

Compassion, desire, energy, enthusiasm and heart. All elements of what makes a true leader. In my opinion, if you lack any of these elements, your not a real leader. A leader never follows the crowd and always blazes their own trail like an olympic-record-setting-athlete. As a leader you need to know how to pick people up and keep the energy high. The people around you need to feel your excitement for whatever it is your experiencing, because once one person has it, everyone has it. Leadership is contagious if you really give an effort. People around you become excited by the way you act and before you know it, more and more people will be itching to be in the position you are. When the volleyball hit the middle of the court and everyones spirits smashed down with it, I needed to be strong enough to tell my team mates, “it’s okay girls! Shake it off, next point.” If you act like you have no interest in being a part of what your doing, your letting everyone around you down. Leaders are problem solvers, not finger pointers. They are uniters not dividers. Leadership is earned and never given. As a leader I believe that you should work as hard as humanly possible and never give up. Giving up is a weakness and when your in a position of leadership, weakness is not an option. I remember when I used to do things just for the fun of it and because I felt compelled to do them, but I saw leadership at it’s finest by watching one of my volleyball captains and I remember the moment when I first thought, “I want to be like her, I want to be as good as her and lead my team like she does.” I’m going to work as hard as I can to make that happen. Your the director, the chief, the captain and all of these mean that your confident but never cocky, excited but never obnoxious, and that your proud of everyone and everything that surrounds you. As a leader two of the most important things that you need to be able to do are, insert your trust and respect in others so that they do the same to you, and be able to influence people in all the right ways and guide them in the right direction. Some chose leaders by who they think has the most material things or the person they like the best, and that’s not what leadership is about at all. People look up to their leaders, and because of that they are constantly inspiring people to achieve great goals. The more time, energy and heart a leader puts into the work they need to get done, the more they are respected as person. Whether your a captain on a sports team, someones boss, or the class president, you are in a leadership position and that’s something that needs to be treasured. You were put in that position for a reason and you need to prove it. Apply yourself in whatever way you can, work hard, respect your team mates have energy and pick people up all the time. If you do all of these things in my eyes your a great leader. Being in this type of position has many responsibilities but if you have faith in yourself and everyone around you, you’ll be the best leader you can possibly be. I believe that leadership is a mixture of compassion, respect, energy and heart. The intangible things are the key elements that matter most.